Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

lawnmower won't start

Visiting Guest

08-27-02, 08:32 AM   #1  
sheldon
lawnmower won't start

hello again!
I am now at home where the problem mower is and have checked the pullcord..no snarl but not a smooth pull. Have changed the spark plug and air filter and removed the blade and checked the blade adapter key which seems fine. My son says it stopped suddenly when the mower went into a low spot in the lawn. There was no carburator problem that was leaking gas into the sparkplug chamber, so what now? When I pull the cord it makes kind of an air sound at one point. Could the shaft be bent? and what does this mean... its a pretty new machine.....
Thanks for your suggestions. Sheldon

Sponsored Links

MD

08-27-02, 09:01 AM   #2  
Sounds like the flywheel key is either sheared or pushed. What brand engine is it?

Visiting Guest

08-27-02, 10:03 AM   #3  
sheldon
lawnmower won't start

This machine is a Sears Craftsman 6 hpw. model 944.368451 purchased in 1999.
Sheldon

MD

08-27-02, 11:37 AM   #4  
The Craftsman mowers are notorious for this. Is the blade bent. If it isn't try to turn it by hand (after disconnecting the spark plug). Pick a point on the mower deck and look at the relation of the blade to that point. Rotate the blade 180 degrees and look at it. If they are about the same, you've gotten luck that the crankshaft isn't bent.

Does it have the round cylindrical air cleaner. If it does, the engine is probably a tecumsah. There shouls also be a model number on the engine. You need to get that and go to a lawn mower parts place, or sears and get a new flywheel key for it. They should also have a repir manual for that engine, if not, look at the libray. In there it should tell you how to replace the key.

If the crank is bent, the mower probably isn't worth fixing, but check around. There is such a thing as a crankshaft straightener out there that works pretty well.

Visiting Guest

08-28-02, 02:07 PM   #5  
sheldon
lawnmower won't start

I've tried to get to the fly wheel key but was having trouble getting the flywheel itself off . Have taken the mower to small engine repair shop and he seems to feel that is the problem as well. He has the tools to remove the fly wheel that I guess I am lacking and the part is only a couple of dollars..labour about $17.00. So we'll see if thats what the problem amounted to when I get the machine back. Thanks again and I'll keep posted.
Sheldon

Visiting Guest

08-29-02, 01:46 PM   #6  
sheldon
lawn mower won't start

Well the lawn mower now is running...it wasn't the fly wheel key but water in the gas..Repair guy flushed the gas tank and carburator..I'm shaking my head in wonder but know a whole lot more about lawn mowers and what to check first. Guess the engine couldn't handle the long grass and then wouldn't start again because of the water in the gas.

Search this Thread