Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

PA

08-27-02, 05:29 PM   #1  
Reverse air [email protected]

Here's the engine info that I have now. Briggs and strat. 5.5 hp on a smal rear engine riding mower. Very old and likely not the original engine for the tractor.

Tractor was running fine a week ago and I was pulling my cart with watering buckets in it around the yard. Stopped and turned off the tractor using it's kill switch. The kill switch is NOT electrical it just pushes the governor to a position that stalls the engine. Tried to pull start it later and got nothing. Figured it was flooded and so since I was about done, pushed it into the barn.

One week later and it still won't start. Gets gas through the carb, gets spark through the plug, pulled off the air filter and it wasn't clogged, but then I noticed that when I pulled on the starter rope the engine PUSHED air OUT of the air intake? I pulled the muffler to see if it was blocked - it wasn't - pu my hand over the exhaust port and pulled the rope and it seemed to be trying to SUCK air INTO the exhaust port?

I even tried a bit of starting fluid in through the plug hole, replaced the plug and still got no pop.

I'm very confused. it had NO strange behavior beforehand to signify any looming problems.

When it's light out tomorrow I'll see if I can get the serial numbers off the engine to add to this post.

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

HB

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-27-02, 05:34 PM   #2  
Sounds like you have valve problems. Possibly a stuck valve, or a piece of carbon or foreign object stuck between the valve and seat. Pull the head and look at the valves. Turn the engine and watch what they do. Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

PA

08-31-02, 05:19 AM   #3  
fixed it

Pulled the head and everything was moving in the proper order. There was a lot of crbon build up so I cleaned that up and reassembled the whole thing. Still wouldn't start. Re checked the plug and there was the problem.

The plug was transmitting a spark through it's body when grounded against the head, but it WAS NOT coming from the electrode. I feel so dumb. Should've picked up on that sooner.

New plug went in last noght and it started on the first try.

Thanks for your help.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-02-02, 03:46 PM   #4  
Glad you got it going! I wonder why it was trying to blow out of the intake though. Regardless, it's running now !

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread