Electrical Starting Problem

Old 08-27-02, 10:30 PM
merlo
Visiting Guest
Murray mower blown fuse

My Murray riding mower wouldn't start using the key. I checked the fuse on the red wire between the ignition and solenoid, and it was blown. So I replaced it with a new 15A fuse, and it blew that fuse instantly as I installed it, without even attempting to start the mower, and with the ignition in the off position. I couldn't find anything wrong with the wiring. Do I need a new ignition, or could it be something else?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-02, 04:02 AM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have a "sneak" path to ground. Disconnect your ignition switch first and if that corrects your fuse blowing problem, more than likely you will need to replace your ignition switch. Might be a bare spot on some of your wires or a terminal that's shifted around and is now touching ground.

Old 08-28-02, 08:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does this mower have a 1 cyl. briggs and stratton engine? If so, there's a pair of wires that run behind/beside the starter. If they are pinched behind the starter, it will cause this problem. I have seen brand new engines with these wires pinched. To save a headache and a lot of time checking...check this first.

Search this Thread