Engine Running Problem

Old 08-29-02, 03:33 AM
wallyk
Visiting Guest
Question tecumseh engine quits after running

I have a JD 112 (older garden tractor 8 HP) with a Tecumseh engine and it starts great when it's cold, but after running for about 10 minutes it dies sometimes. It's almost like it's choking itself. I do adjust the air intake needle but it doesn't help. When I try to start the engine there is a lot of black smoke from the exhaust and it starts for a minute, runs rough and then stops. If I let it sit for about 10 minutes it starts and runs ok like nothing happened. I did notice a sound coming from the carbuerator - it sounds like you have a pot on the stove without any water in it. It's a loud cracking sound. I did notice that the gas is running into the carbuerator after the engine is shut off. Is this normal??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-02, 06:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Wally. Welcome to our Small Engine forum.

Based on the problem description, the most likely problem is the engine is flooding. Adjustments to the carb will not resolve the problem. The carb will need to be removed.

Note exactly how each of the linkages are attached. Turn the adjustment screws inward and count the number of turns it takes to seat them. Note this number, then remove each.

The number of turns it took to seat each adjustment screw is the exact number of turns outwards it will take to put the screw back into it's orginal position upon reassembly.

Once the carb is disassembled, the float will have to be checked. It may have a tiny hole in it. Check it, it may contain fuel inside it. If so, or there is any doubts as to it's condition, replace it.

Replace the needle and seat. Clean out & clear out all fuel passages and the air vent hole. Remove all gummy fuel residues.

Reassembly the carb exactly as it currently is and be sure the float level is perfectly level upon installation. Reinstall on the engine and the engine should now run normally.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

In the mean time:
You need to read the other postings and replies offered on this same type of problem topic in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this subject.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator,
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company."
Small Engine Repairs and Diagnostics Service Technician.

Old 09-07-02, 02:42 AM
wallyk
Visiting Guest
Talking I sold it instead!

Just a follow-up note to let you know that I decided to sell this tractor & let someone else worry about it. Thanks for your help.