Visiting Guest
In a 4-stroke cycle diesel engine...

Here's another please.

In a 4-stroke cycle diesel engine, the fuel is ignited by means of:
a) compressed air at a high tempurature
b) special spark plugs
c) cold spark plugs
d) hot spark plugs

I just can't zero in on a site on the web to find the answers. Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-02, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't get me wrong....I am here to help people understand how things work, and how to fix them. I don't, however, intend for this site to turn into a cheat sheet for students doing their homework. I will be glad to help you understand a theory of operation, or gear ratios (like your last question), or similar questions. This question is more like a fill-in-the-blank out of a textbook question, and should be something you learned while reading the chapter. I could give you the answer, but would that help you learn it, or just help you get a better grade on your work? (you mentioned class starts soon, so you need the answers quickly).

Old 08-31-02, 04:14 AM
trade student
Visiting Guest
Unhappy cheese

Sorry I didn't explain myself fully. This is a Pre Apprenticeship program run by EOC (Educational Opportunity Center). At this point we are going for 5 weeks of this type of classroom study. I WOULD NOT CHEAT. We ARE ALLOWED to seek the answers anyway we can i.e. ask a friend, ask a pro, books from the library, or the web. We DO NOT have textbooks, and the guy who runs the class just hands this stuff out and says get the answers by any means. I have surfed the web extensively before I posted these questions, but who better to ask than someone with experience and knowledge. Sorry I'm not as intelligent as you...maybe one day a?
I always try to find the answers by other means before I bother "YOU". Thanks anyway and GOD Bless who?

Old 08-31-02, 06:07 AM
svt
Visiting Guest
answer: special spark plugs known as glow plugs.

Old 09-01-02, 05:55 AM
trade student
Visiting Guest
Thanks SVT

Thanks for your help...I guess we all have to start somewhere.

Old 09-01-02, 08:11 PM

Isn't it suppose to be, A) compressed air at a high tempurature ??

I thought diesel was burned by high presser/heat vs glow plugs.. Glow plugs suppse to "pre-heat" the chamber on start up..

Old 09-02-02, 03:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trade Student....after re-reading my post, I don't think I came across too rudely, although I apologize for the implication that you were cheating. That's not really an accusation I meant to apply to you. You did ask questions in a manner as if you weren't interested in how or why, just "what's the answer". I can't see your face, or read your mind, all I have is this text on my screen to go by. I am not implying that I'm smarter than you. I like to help people. I want to help anyone who wants to learn and absorb. These questions you asked were very similar to the textbook questions I had to answer when I was in school for this. Are you interested in learning how to figure out the answers to the questions you are asking? That's where I would be glad to spend some time.

Anyway, I don't want to offend you. I hope you understand where I am coming from.

The answer Jay11J gave you is correct. The compression of the engine, combined with the heat of the engine is what creates combustion of the fuel in the chamber. Glow plugs are needed when the engine is not warmed up. They heat the chamber to aid in engine starting, once it starts, the glow plugs go "off".

Oh yeah...God bless YOU, and all of us.

Old 09-02-02, 05:07 PM
Cheese, you ARE blessed! I have to agree with your statements and stand on this one. Helping someone UNDERSTAND is differant from just handing out answers.
Trade Student: Some help on taking tests....If you don't know the answer, use the process of crossing off the ones you know are not correct.

a) compressed air at a high tempurature
b) special spark plugs
c) cold spark plugs
d) hot spark plugs

Not being to smart myself, and knowing very little about diesel engines. I would have to cross off anything that referances "spark plugs" , because I don't believe they are ever used in a diesel engine. Glow plugs, yes. Spark plugs, No. This would lead me to believe that answer "a" is correct.

I hope during you schooling they will also throw in a course on customer relations, so you do not continue to "cut off the hand that feeds you."

Even more, however, I hope you learn that "God Bless you" is not a bad thing.

Old 09-02-02, 11:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Trying2help.

Hopefully there are no hard feelings here, and we will be able to help Trade Student in the future, by providing him with a working knowledge of engines and such.