Pressure washers

Old 08-30-02, 03:11 PM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Smile Pressure washers

I don't know if this is the proper forum but here goes. I would like advice on getting a pressure washer for $400 - $600. I know nothing about these things, so any tips would be terrific. Thank you - Gordy.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-02, 09:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Gordy!

First thing I can say is do not get one with the engine mounted above the pump (vertical engine). They are cheap and junk. Get one with the pump mounted next to the engine (horizontal engine). Next...I have found that Honda makes about the best engine for use on a pressure washer. They are excellent at keeping water out. Briggs does well too, but Honda has them beat all the way around.

For longevity of the pump, keep it up to the full mark with clean oil. Never let the pump run for more than 30 seconds without using the wand. The pump needs that water flow to cool itself. If it runs without actually moving water through it, the water in it gets hot and the pump begins to break down. Also, whenever using chemicals, especially bleach or industrial cleaners, always rinse the siphon tube and pump with clean water by putting the pickup tube into a container of clean water while spraying with the unit. Most pressure washers I have worked on have failed because of the operator neglecting these precautions.

Let us know if we can help further!

Old 08-30-02, 10:02 PM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the great tips, I have some Honda motors and they have outdone themselfs. I am looking at the one now at Lowe's that has a Honda 5 hp motor for $400. Does anyone else have this machine? Cheers - Gordy.

Old 08-31-02, 04:01 AM
Gordy,

You've received some excellent advice from Cheese. The best PW are those with belt driven pumps, but they are way above your price range. The Honda unit you are thinking about will probably be fine.

t's best not to run any chemicals through your pump. For decks, sidewalks, etc. you should pre-spray(garden sprayer) and let the chemicals act before pressure washing.

fred
Deck-Kleen Powerwashing

Old 08-31-02, 06:09 AM
Gordy Gonyo
Visiting Guest
Wink

Thanks fred, I will most likely use soap and water for most things. I will heed your warning, because I surely would have put chemicals in it sometime along the way. It is nice to have a place to get these answers when your in the dark about things. Have a great weekend - Gordy.

Search this Thread