Engine Starting Problem

Old 08-30-02, 08:49 PM
MTD Yard Man Mower

A friend of ours brought a MTD Yard mower with 4.5 Brigg motor.. We changed the oil, put in in fresh gas (Tank was empty)

The mower is about 3 years old, and it was "put away" for 2 years and only used the first year 4 times..

Anyway, I did all the above and prime it 3 times and started on first pull then dies off.. Did it again.. same thing.. If i keep on pushing the primer, it'll stay running.. I double checked the spark (ok), Air filter (ok) pulled fuel line (Ok) carb/bowl has fuel. removed muffler and ok fell air coming out. I even started the mower with out the muffler and starts and then dies off..

What's next??? or ideals??

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-02, 09:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Jay!

You will need to clean the carburetor. There is a restriction somewhere in it. There may be small holes in the bowl screw that are clogged. Clean it and make sure all passages are clear and you'll be running again.

Let us know if you run into trouble!

Old 08-30-02, 09:24 PM
Thanks for replying.. do you have a breakdown pix of how to clean the crab?? And small holes on the bowl screws??

Old 08-30-02, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I sure don't, . Remove the bolt that holds the fuel bowl on. Look at it closely. You should be able to see a small hole in the center and across it at the bottom. Use a small stiff wire or a torch tip cleaner to clear these holes. Use automotive carburetor cleaner to clean it. If those holes were stopped up, then that is probably all you'll have to do to get it running again.

Old 08-30-02, 09:51 PM
I didn't look at it very close on the bolt itself that held the bowl.. I think I saw a hole going across. but going down?? I'll look at it again.. IF these holes are all open and clear, what next?

Old 09-01-02, 08:17 PM
I haven't had a chance to look at the mower again. but what do we do next if the bolt holes are open and clear??

Old 09-02-02, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If they are clear, then continue to clean the rest of the carburetor. Your fuel problem is in the carb, since the bowl is filling with gas. Somewhere there is a restriction in the carb, keeping the fuel in the bowl from pulling into the throat of the carb. If there are holes in the sides of the bowl screw, then there should be one in the center also.