Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Riding Mower Engine Problem

09-01-02, 03:23 AM   #1  
Ford LT 11 rider

This mower has a B&S 12.5 IC engine. I was told it might be around a '90 model, noy sure about that. Anyway, when I pulled the dipstick, the oil was all the way up the stick. When I cranked it with the dipstick out, I could see a little bit of oil spraying out the tube. While it was running with the dipstick out, it started smoking really bad. I turned it off before it could foul a plug or something. When I put the dipstick back in and started it, it ran fine. What gives? I have been told it may have been trying to breath through the dipstick tube, and as long as it did not smoke with the dipstick in, not to worry about it.
This mower also has a PTO lever. But all I can see that it does is engage the blade. Am I right in assuming that is all it is supposed to do instead of at one time having a PTO as you would think of on a tractor. The boy I got it from said you had to lower the deck to engage the blades and he still hadn't figured that out. I thought, hmmm. Heheh, when I got it home, I noticed someone had put several rounds of duct tape on the idler pulley to better engage the blades. I thought it strange that the idler had no swinging action to it. It was rusted to the shaft it sits on. A little heat, sand paper and a small amount of grease fixed that problem.
Except for the possible problem with the engine, I hope the who-doer got who-doed in this case.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-01-02, 05:54 AM   #2  
mikejmerritt
boman, hard to say who "doed" who here but think you did him....LOL....When you pull the stick while running you lost the positive crankcase ventilation function and smoking would be normal in that case. The same would happen if the PVC was blocked or the PVC tube was missing or leaking. I think before your repairs dropping the deck added just enough tension to the deck belt to engage the blades a bit but I doubt cutting thick grass would have been possible. Make sure your oil level is correct and happy mowing.....Mike

09-01-02, 06:03 AM   #3  
dropping the deck added just enough tension to the deck belt to engage the blades a bit but I doubt cutting thick grass would have been possible.

Exactly. That along with the duct tape for a little while . Now that I have the idler where it can swing back and forth as it is supposed to do and , I think, figured the purpose of the PTO lever, I think it will do a lot better! I think the who-doer who-doed himself. Got the mower and a Baldwin organ(and stool) for $275.

Afterthought: Some of the music may be worth more than the two put together, two old hymn books with music copy righted in the 1800's. The books look like they be that old! Plus some Charlie Brown music books from the sixties.

09-05-02, 02:23 AM   #4  
Got this thing going. Seems to cut better than my Murry. I do think I need to change the plug though. He had told me the wire end needed squeezing a little as it would pop off sometimes, as it did while I was looking at it. Complete plug came out today! Looks like a weedeater plug. Its a Champion C J8, I think. I'm going to replace it witht the right one for the engine and hope there is no thread damage causing it to pop out. It is a short plug, maybe he had it only partially tightened so he could get the plug boot on it.

hard to say who "doed" who here but think you did him

I think I may have inadvertently helped him who-do himself with the smoking situation. Heheh, he looked genuinely surprised when he seen the smoke witht he dipstick removed. I was a little perplexed too. I thought it was in need of rings! But with the duct tape trick and "lower the deck to engage the blades" and "its ready to go" ( I think he was ready for it to go...somewhere ), I have to think he was a little dumber than me and/or his intention was to beat me .

Tx for the response

Visiting Guest

09-05-02, 06:13 PM   #5  
J A Boggan
Incidentially, if you'll look at your 'code' number thats your date code, the first two numbers are the year, the next two numbers are the month and the next two numbers are the day of the month.

Visiting Guest

09-05-02, 10:57 PM   #6  
mikejmerritt
Hey boman, if you need a head and can't pick one up locally for a couple bucks I have stacks of them and would get you one out for shipping costs only if it would help this stay a good deal for you.....Mike

09-06-02, 03:19 AM   #7  
look at your 'code' number thats your date code

Thanks J. According to Brigg's code, the engine is a '88, I think, and it is a 11 hp instead of a 12.5 like I was told ( according to the shroud at least). I have the numbers off the frame and deck written down in my truck.

if you need a head

Appreciate the offer Mike, but I think I just about got it straightened out. We just gave a guy down the street a few old motors. If I need a part, he would propably fox me up. I may take the head off of this mower and check for carbon buildup. I think with a little more tension on the belt, or a new belt and a spring to hold the leveling lever in place, it may be ready to go. I cut a couple of my yards with it did pretty good.

I do not quite understand why the two levers for lowering the deck, one big one going up the side of the mower that drops the whole deck and one short one on the deck itself that fits in the notches. Did these mowers ever have pads to stop the blades from turning? This one has a long metal piece that looks like should have some sort of pads on it on both ends that would fit against the pullys to stop the blades, but it seems all it does is keep the belt from jumping off. No sign of ever having any kind of pads on it and the blades coast to a stop. Not too comfortable with that.

Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 05:22 AM   #8  
mikejmerritt
The notched area is where you set the level you want the deck to fall to when you drop the deck with the other lever. Without the small lever and notches the deck would fall all the way down to the end of its hangers which may be to low in some cases. Some models have level notches made into the main lowering lever. Don't remember if the blade stop feature was on an 88 model but if the long metal piece that looks like should have some sort of pads on it on both ends has the ability to move like an idler they are blade stop gizmos......Mike

Search this Thread