Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

09-01-02, 05:21 PM   #1  
DCDoug
Motor stuck, Honda Power Washer

Honda GC610 Power Washer. Just out of warrenty.
I have been using it recently, about 30 hrs in the last 3 weeks with no problem. Tried to start it today and it would run for 30 to 90 seconds and quit. Did this about 3 to 5 times. Then on last try, when I pulled the starter string, it snaped, (maybe I lost grasp on the return). After that, the starter string won't pull, it stops (jams). Took off the housing around the starter string and could not turn the motor by hand. The sting assembly seemed fine.
What is the best way to free up the bind? Can I do it? Can a small engine repair shop do it quickly and cheaply?
It has oil, but not been changed. I have to store it outside, but covered up in plastic. We have had a lot of rain lately. Maybe this has something to do with it.
Great Site! I just discovered it!
Peace,
DCDoug

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

09-02-02, 10:13 AM   #2  
Several Possibilities

Hello and Welcome DCDoug to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

In my opinion, covering the equipment with plastic isn't a good method. Plastic does not breath so it tends to hold in the moisture.

Moisture on most parts will create rust and corrosion. Corrosion on the electrical componets and in the fuel system, etc. can cause the problem you described and many other similar problems.

It's also possible the vent hole in the fuel tanks cap is restricted and or blocked up. Try running the engine without the cap installed.

Also check for fuel flow out of the tank and into the carb. Carb could be filled with water, gum varnish etc. or just plugged up with gunk. Float could be stuck etc.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

In the mean time:
You need to read the other postings and replies offered on this same type of problem topic in the RECENT & ARCHIVES postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this subject.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this same topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Regards and Good Luck.
Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread