Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

09-03-02, 03:31 PM   #1  
rayhanm
old dynamark not starting

its has a 10hp tecumseh and im not getting any sparks, engine will turn
is the coil bad or something else
the points look ok how do they go bad
thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-02, 08:13 PM   #2  
Hello rayhanm!

The best, most reliable, and easiest repair would be to convert this engine to electronic ignition. You just add the component, and leave the points in there, good or bad. You can buy replacement coils that have the electronic module made onto them, or if your existing coil is good, you can add a module to it. They are cheap and come with instructions. There's not much to it, and you'll probably never have to mess with it again. It will probably run better than it ever has too. You should be able to purchase the part at any small engine repair shop. Give them the engine model and spec #s. Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-04-02, 09:31 AM   #3  
rayhanm
is there a website i could go to find these parts
i found a universal solid state module is that what im looking for

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/ignition_t.cfm

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-04-02, 08:44 PM   #4  
I don't know of a website that sells these...I haven't looked for them online. A universal one may do fine, but you need to be sure the coil you have is good. The one shown on the url you listed appears to be correct. The module connects to the coil you have, and uses it. Most small engine repair shops should be able to test it for you.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-05-02, 07:44 AM   #5  
rayhanm
i ordered a coil and the point but i will ask the guy if he has the module, another site that sells the module states that it isnt for engines with multipy magnets on flywheel or auto coils how can i tell if i have an autocoil/multiply magnets
and
there is a box with three wires comming from it next to the starter motor the number on it is 610938 what is the box for
thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-06-02, 12:06 AM   #6  
Is this a very old horizontal shaft engine? If so, we need to go a different route than the module mentioned. In order for me to give accurate advice I will need the engine model #. The box you described makes me think we are dealing with a different engine than I thought.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-06-02, 01:46 PM   #7  
rayhanm
its a vertical shaft vm100
inside the flywheel are sections
is this what they mean by multiply magnets
thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-06-02, 07:10 PM   #8  
No, those magnets are for the charging system. The magnets they are referring to are on the outside edge of the flywheel. Apparently, they want to know if those magnets are made of several thin pieces of metal, rather than one solid magnet. I haven't run into the need to determine whether or not I had multiply magnets, LOL. I wonder what difference it makes!?

I don't have much info on this engine, and I don't ever see them enough to know off the top of my head where everything is and how it looks. If I'm not mistaken, the armature/coil bolts on with 2 screws outside of the flywheel, with a wire running under the flywheel to a teardrop-shaped box that houses the points...correct? If so, a solid-state module should work fine. I have never used one that required an examination of the magnets though. An auto coil would be a large coil, almost as big around as a coke can, and about as tall, with a wire running out of the top of it. I doubt you have this type of coil. Can you also give me the serial numbers, so that I can determine how old it is. This may help me figure out what type of ignition system it has.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 03:37 PM   #9  
rayhanm
dynamark 5289-4300 291041
tec. vm100 157020c 0309d
thanks

i was checking the points and wires and got it started
drove it around and white smoke came out for a few seconds after giving it some gas it didnt sound right when it started and i have to change the oil it been in there for years
then it died after a minute or so of driving it wouldnt start so i just put it to charge
thanks

Last edited by rayhanm; 09-08-02 at 09:05 AM.

Visiting Guest

09-08-02, 09:10 AM   #10  
rayhanm
when i checked the oil there was gas mixed in with it
could it be that it is flooded and mixed in
or is there a leak
when i started it to see how it cuts with the deck it made a weird sound like something broke
i think that the key for the flywheel is broken so ill need that replaced

Last edited by rayhanm; 09-08-02 at 11:17 AM.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-02, 05:57 PM   #11  
Ok, this engine appears to be mande around the end of 1970. Maybe you'll be ok by keeping with the points, but if you will be keeping this mower, I would still reccomend changing to electronic ignition, for reliability. If you have gas in the oil, your carburetor is leaking. You may have a bad float. Take it out and shake it. Does it appear to be full of gas? If so, replace it. It would also be a good idea to change the needle and seat. Then change the oil.

If your flywheel key is sheared, it will need to be replaced. A sheared key makes the engine get out of time, and it may not even run at all.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 07:43 AM   #12  
rayhanm
is there any online manuals for the carb
and is there a rebuilt kit for it
thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-02, 10:00 PM   #13  
Rebuild kits arew available for it at any small engine repair shop. As far as an online manual, I don't know of one. You can get one at the library or at a book store. The carb is very simple, and the exploded view and instructions would probably all fit one page. There's nothing to it. Take the bolt out of the bottom of the bowl, pull the pin out that holds the float on, the needle comes out with the float. The seat is pushed up into the hole that the needle goes into, replace it, the needle, the float, the bowl gasket, clean it all up, and put it back together.

God bless!

Search this Thread