Part Description & Purpose

Old 09-05-02, 08:16 AM
NutAndBoltKing
Visiting Guest
Question Whatzit called & which way is up?

I was given an old Ariens self-propelled walk-behind lawnmower with a 5 hp Tecumseh engine. I took the gas cap off, looked inside, and fished a black round rubber thing out of the tank. It looks like a diaphram of some type - one side is dimpled or concave, the other side is bubbled or convex. It seems it wants to fit on top of the tank fill. What is this thing called, and if it belongs on the tank fill which side is suppossed to face up - the concave side or the convex side?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-02, 11:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is part of the fuel cap. If it fell out, just replace the cap. The rubber it is made of swells and softens after being exposed to the gas for so long, until it just doesn't stay in place any more.

Old 09-09-02, 09:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese is right.

Also, you scored a find with that machine. An old Ariens is a good "investment". You will not go wrong. They are an excellent company and support their products well. Everything is heavy duty on an old horse like that.

My sister also lives in Northern NJ probably not far from you and they get snow to beat the band up there. A friend's dad gave her an old SnowKing (or Snowbird???) machine and she sold it at a garage sale for 25 bucks . Said it was too bulky and wasn't self propelled (but it was!!!!). In this case it was a snowblower.

She sold it before I could grab it. I still rib her about that to this day.

Adding to the wound, my friend at work "threw out" an old Ariens and didn't tell me! I would have happily grabbed it! Lol.