Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

no start

Visiting Guest

09-05-02, 12:45 PM   #1  
BRUCE ZIEBA
no start

I have a Toro/Wheelhorse riding lawn mower/tractor with a 13hp Briggs & Stratton. Problem: At first when i turned the key (electric start) it woild just hummmm, would`nt turn over. If i turned the key a few times it would then catch and start. Then, that quit working, so i would jiggle the battery connections, it would catch and start. Well, then that did`nt work anymore so i resorted to "hot wiring" it. WE went that route for awhile, and, you guessed it, that does`nt work anymore either. Now i have nothing. No start. Dead tractor.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-05-02, 06:01 PM   #2  
J A Boggan
Are you sure all the connections to the battery and to your starting solenoid and starter are 'clean' and tight? Also is your battery fully charged? It dosen't take much corrosion to cause big problems.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-05-02, 11:48 PM   #3  
Hello Bruce!

This engine is most likely (I don't have the model #) an overhead valve engine since you say it's 13 hp. The problem is that the valve lash gets too loose, and the engine doesn't release compression like it should to provide easy starting. The symptoms of this is the buzz, then finally catching like you described. After doing this for some time, the toll it takes on the solenoid eventually melts and/or distorts it internally, and you have to "hot wire" it, as described. After doing this for awhile, the strain wipes out the starter, melting the brush plate and/or burning the armature.

Maybe you don't have all of these problems, but it sure sounds like a classic example by your description. Check your battery, then the connections, then the solenoid. Jump power directly to the starter pos+ terminal to see if it turns. If not, then it's starter time. These starters aren't cheap. This is one of those situations where a 10 minute adjustment could have saved a $200.00 repair bill. Hopefully it will be a simple battery connection problem!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread