Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Tractor Question

Visiting Guest

09-07-02, 02:33 AM   #1  
wallyk
John Deere 116 ???

I recently purchased a USED JD 116 Hydrostatic model lawn tractor and when I got it home the battery died. I have since put it on the charger and started it up ok. Apparently this tractor has been in storage for a year. It's approximately 20 yrs old. I have the following ??'s for maintenance.
(1) Besides changing oil, gas, plugs & air clnr, should I change the Hydrastatic transmission oil?
(2) Does this B&S 16hp twin cyl engine have a charging system?
(3) what else should I check to keep unit up to par?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-08-02, 10:45 PM   #2  
Hello wallyk!

It would be a good idea to change the fluid and filter for the hydrostatic transmission. Most if not all old JD hydro's have a filter that needs changing periodically.

The engine does have a charging system. If your battery continues to die, let us know. We'll help you figure out what's wrong. If it's an old battery, you'd be ahead to change it anyway.

Other things to check would be blades, bearings in the blade mandrels and tensioner and idler pulleys, grease the fittings in the blade mandrels, front end steering components, and anywhere else you find them. Also check belts, signs of oil leaks, fuel filter, fuel lines, wiring condition, front wheel bearings, and any moving parts for wear and/or deterioration. Older mowers tend to have some wear problems, but these old JDs are TOUGH. They are built to last, and its a keeper.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 03:07 AM   #3  
wallyk
starter hesitates before cranking engine

I thought the weak battery might of caused the slow start to turn over the engine. When I turned the key and tried starting the engine, the starter would click, hesitate & then turn the engine over ok. Now, it's still doing that even after I charged the battery right up. Tia.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-02, 10:05 PM   #4  
How old is the battery? It could still be weak. Even when one gets charged, they could have a dead cell or shorted plate and read good on a charger or voltmeter, but show up as bad on a load tester. Have you tried a known good battery? It could be a weak starter or misadjusted valves also. The 16hp briggs is a little tough to turn over anyway, so a good heavy duty battery is a must. I reccomend 325 cranking amps minimum.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread