Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

riding mower problems

Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 08:52 PM   #1  
cactopher
riding mower problems

My yardman mower has been making a strange noise when I engage the transmission(automatic). Is this normal? How would I go about checking the fluid, or maybe changing it?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-09-02, 09:31 PM   #2  
Hello cactopher!

Most hydrostatic transmissions make a funny noise when engaged. It's a hard noise to describe....maybe a rubbing medium pitched moan. It should only make the noise when pushing it forwadr or backward...not in neutral. I believe all yardman hydro trannies are sealed and basically non-serviceable.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-09-02, 10:06 PM   #3  
cactopher
i can't thank....

you enough! I have been asking this question on various boards, and you are the only one that would even offer any advice. Thanks again!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-10-02, 07:13 PM   #4  
No rpoblem!

Keep in mind that I can't hear the noise you describe. I can only say that most do make a noise like I described. Noises can be an indication of arising problems, but in this case....it's probably the normal noise expected from a hydro tranny. (a grunting moan is about the best I can come up with).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread