2 cycle carburetor

Old 09-11-02, 10:24 AM
Arse
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 2 cycle carburetor

Just installed a new kit in my chainsaw carburetor. Unfortunately, I still have a problem, it still is reluctant to start. I believe my needle valve is out of adjustment and is allowing to much fuel to enter the carb. On a 2 cycle carb., how can you be sure you have properly adjusted that valve? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-02, 08:05 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Unless the carb has to much wear or you bent the needle arm it should be very close. I like to have the machine up and running to make a decision on the needle play. For instance, if the high screw wants to fall out before good adjustment is reached the needle arm would need to be raised so the needle would open more. After this tuning should be good with high screw somewhere around the middle of its travel. On the flip side if the screw bottoms out and you can sense that another turn or two would tune it and stop it from flooding the needle arm would need to be lowered. If you think its flooding lower the needle arm a bit and see what happens. Do be careful not to lean it out to far which is tempting because a 2 cycle runs great lean but will burn up shortly.
Other things to check are stopped up muffler (dobbers), compression check (how much?) and make sure cylinder bolts are tight if equiped.....Mike