Lawn Tractor Question

Old 09-15-02, 02:42 PM
scott.T.
Visiting Guest
how to tighten drive belt on a murray widebody rider?

the rider acts like it wants to takeoff...but it slips...when in gear. I don't know how to tighten the drive belt...it seems to have about 3'' or so of play in the belt..and I think it shouldn't have that much...

Thanks,

(cheese, I bet you help me on this one too.. )

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-02, 01:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello again Scott!

Look under the mower body where the belt is routed. Is it on every pulley? My bet is that it came off of a pulley. It could have a siezed idler or tensioner pulley. You can see it in the center of the mower if you remove the cover below the steering wheel. It is a black metal cover approximately 4" X 6" and held on with 2 phillips screws. Let us know what you find!

BTW: Was the engine pulley slipping to cause the problem you asked about last time?

Old 09-16-02, 10:53 AM
scott.T.
Visiting Guest
duh!

sorry to waste your time...cause I told you wrong on the info..I found the problem...it was the thing that goes on the shaft..that the belts ride on....the little humps in side of it was stripped and thus the shaft was spinning inside of the thing that the belts go on...thus not spinning it and not turning the belts.

Old 09-16-02, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That's what we were talking about in the last post too. The crankshaft keyway. Glad you found it! Must be a Murray....seems like 95% of the time that happens, it's a murray, lol!

Search this Thread