Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Riding Mower Problem

09-15-02, 05:02 PM   #1  
Spark Plug Socket for Briggs and Stratton 11hp

I bought a new spark plug for my old Murray rider with a 11hp briggs and stratton. To my surprise, my spark plug socket has to big an OD to fit in between the cooling fins and reach the plug. The new PLUG fits into the socket, so it's the right size. I even tried another spark plug wrench from my boat and the same thing happens with it.

I guess I'm asking if there is some magical thin walled socket that you have to find to make this otherwise simple change?

Also, there is NO way to get to it with a box or open end wrench.

Thanks in advance gurus.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-15-02, 07:42 PM   #2  
J A Boggan
You can always take the proper fitting socket to a machine shop and get the end turned down enough to fit in between the cooling fins.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-16-02, 01:24 AM   #3  
Hello capt dalton!

Someone put in a spark plug that takes a 13/16" socket to put it in. Try lightly tapping on the socket to get it on. You don't want to break the fins, but you can usually lightly tap on the socket to get it to fit on the big plug. You could also grind the sides of the socket down a little to get it to fit.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread