String Trimmer Engine Problem

Old 09-16-02, 09:05 AM
StogusMaximus
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Gas Trimmer smoking and engine covered in oil.

I have a Homelite Trim N` Edge™ Gas String Trimmer, it is about 3 years old. When I first bought the trimmer, I used the oil mix that came with it mixed it with 1 gallon of gas. Everything worked great. Went into storage for 6+ months, drained gas etc.

Summer comes around, and I buy another bottle of 2 cycle oil, mix it with a gallon of gas, and I have been using the same mix for the last 2 summers.

The trimmer is smoking really bad, and it appears to be getting worse, also when I look at the engine, it is covered in oil, and that seems to be getting worse as well.

I am thinking that first of all, the oil/gas mixture may have been incorrect, my father thinks there may be a blown gasket. I am planning on taking it to a small engine repair shop, but I was wondering if anybody had any pointers on what I may do to fix the problem myself.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-02, 04:08 PM
kaji1
Visiting Guest
oily weed wacker

I doubt that you have blown a gasket.
I suspect that; 1 gas oil mix is too heavy on oil, or
2 You didn't get the mixed up completely.
When you mix the gas and oil put the oil in the can, then add the gas at full pressure of the gas pump.Then WALK 200 ft shaking the can the whole time.Allways carry the gas can to where the Trimmer is or 200 ft which ever is the farthest,again shaking the can the whole time. Always worked for me.

Old 09-16-02, 05:26 PM
Mike55
Visiting Guest
I had a weedeater that was doing just that very thing. I found the oil mixture was too rich and it had clogged the muffler. The exhaust was blowing back and causing oil/fuel to run down the outside of the engine.

Old 09-16-02, 09:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Mike...A clogged exhaust screen will cause this. It also hinders the operation of the engine. Sometimes the cylinder bolts work loose and cause this problem too. You may even have both problems.