Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

String trimmer

Visiting Guest

09-17-02, 04:26 AM   #1  
J A Boggan
String trimmer

I have a "Weed Eater" Feather lite string trimmer with a Walbro diaphram carburator. It won't accelarate. When I mash the trigger it just coughs and sputters (however it keeps running at a reduced speed). I am considering rebuilding the carburator but just wanted to know if anything else could cause this problem?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-17-02, 12:00 PM   #2  
mikejmerritt
Hello J A Boggan, sometimes you can put off a carb rebuild with an adjustment. Sounds like the trimmer is starving on the low side so with the engine running at idle come out on the low screw a 1/4 turn at a time until squeezing the trigger all the way produces a full throttle situation. Now you can adjust the high side with the engine running full throttle come out on the screw until running badly and begin running the screw in until peak performance is reached. I like to back off the screw at this point a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to assure that the carb isn't setup to lean. Two cycle engines really run the best slightly lean but won't last very long. If the muffler is clear and unit has a new plug it may be time for a kit......Mike

ME

09-17-02, 12:52 PM   #3  
One thing that has happened before on my Echo trimmer is the screen in the muffler exhaust gets plugged up with soot. Might be worth a check before you dismantle the carb.

SC

09-17-10, 10:38 AM   #4  
Feather Lite Will Not Remain Cranked

My feather lite will crank on full choke and at half choke and no choke it boggs out. Tried replacing filter no help. Any help appreciated.

Search this Thread