Lawn Tractor Electrical

Old 09-17-02, 02:04 PM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
Craftsman lawn tractor charging system

How much voltage should I expect the charging system to produce on a Craftsman lawn tractor with a 15HP gas engine? I know a car should produce around 14 Volts, but I'm wondering if a small engine like this only produces a small trickle charge? What should I expect to see if I put a voltmeter on it while it's running?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-02, 10:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What engine is on it? You won't likely see 14 volts, but you should see somewhere near 13v. Some engines have very low-amp charging systems, and they gradually develop up to around 13v. Check the voltage at the battery with it running, then shut it off. If the voltage is 1/2 volt higher when running then when shut off, it is probably working just fine.

Old 09-18-02, 05:57 AM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
It's a Kohler engine (I should have mentioned that in the first place!). I measure it yesterday evening and it read 12.6V at full throttle and 7 volts at idle. I didn't check it after it was shut off, so I'll do that. Thanks.

Old 09-18-02, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you checked it, was there a battery connected, or were you checking it with no battery, or the charging stator unplugged?

Old 09-19-02, 07:16 AM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
The battery was connected when I checked the voltage. I didn't get a chance to go measure it yesterday with the engine shut off. I know, it only takes 2 minutes, but we have twins just starting kindergarten this year, and they have homework! I didn't have homework in kindergarten, this is crazy. I'll try to get a voltage measurement with the engine off when I get home from work today.

Old 09-19-02, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you measured voltage at the battery with the engine running, and had 7 volts at idle...12.6 at wide open...then the mower is charging but your battery is bad.

Old 09-20-02, 06:12 AM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
I measured it last night, after it has been sitting for about 2 days, and it read 8V. So, either the battery is bad or something is draining it. I'm inclined to think you're right, the battery is probably bad. The mower is only 4 years old, so apparently my Diehard died easy! I have another old battery that's been sitting for 4 years (from my old mower that I got rid of when I bought the Craftsman). It's a Bravo brand. It took a charge, so I'll try that for a while, but it's pretty old so I may be stuck with buying a new battery anyway. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-21-02, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime! Most lawnmower batteries are doing good to last 2 years. They don't last like car batteries.

Old 09-22-02, 11:32 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Why is it that the original mower battery lasts 4-5 years, and
the replacement batteries last only a year or two? Poor/
dirty connections? Junky replacement batteries?
Who knows.
Fish

Old 09-22-02, 09:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know Fish...good point. The only battery I can think of right off that lasts any length of time is a snapper battery...but they are 3 times the price of a regular replacement battery.