Lawn Tractor Electrical

Old 09-17-02, 02:04 PM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
Craftsman lawn tractor charging system

How much voltage should I expect the charging system to produce on a Craftsman lawn tractor with a 15HP gas engine? I know a car should produce around 14 Volts, but I'm wondering if a small engine like this only produces a small trickle charge? What should I expect to see if I put a voltmeter on it while it's running?

Old 09-17-02, 10:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
What engine is on it? You won't likely see 14 volts, but you should see somewhere near 13v. Some engines have very low-amp charging systems, and they gradually develop up to around 13v. Check the voltage at the battery with it running, then shut it off. If the voltage is 1/2 volt higher when running then when shut off, it is probably working just fine.

Old 09-18-02, 05:57 AM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
It's a Kohler engine (I should have mentioned that in the first place!). I measure it yesterday evening and it read 12.6V at full throttle and 7 volts at idle. I didn't check it after it was shut off, so I'll do that. Thanks.

Old 09-18-02, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you checked it, was there a battery connected, or were you checking it with no battery, or the charging stator unplugged?

Old 09-19-02, 07:16 AM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
The battery was connected when I checked the voltage. I didn't get a chance to go measure it yesterday with the engine shut off. I know, it only takes 2 minutes, but we have twins just starting kindergarten this year, and they have homework! I didn't have homework in kindergarten, this is crazy. I'll try to get a voltage measurement with the engine off when I get home from work today.

Old 09-19-02, 08:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you measured voltage at the battery with the engine running, and had 7 volts at idle...12.6 at wide open...then the mower is charging but your battery is bad.

Old 09-20-02, 06:12 AM
Mosey
Visiting Guest
I measured it last night, after it has been sitting for about 2 days, and it read 8V. So, either the battery is bad or something is draining it. I'm inclined to think you're right, the battery is probably bad. The mower is only 4 years old, so apparently my Diehard died easy! I have another old battery that's been sitting for 4 years (from my old mower that I got rid of when I bought the Craftsman). It's a Bravo brand. It took a charge, so I'll try that for a while, but it's pretty old so I may be stuck with buying a new battery anyway. Thanks for your help!

Old 09-21-02, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime! Most lawnmower batteries are doing good to last 2 years. They don't last like car batteries.

Old 09-22-02, 11:32 AM
Fisher
Visiting Guest
Why is it that the original mower battery lasts 4-5 years, and
the replacement batteries last only a year or two? Poor/
dirty connections? Junky replacement batteries?
Who knows.
Fish

Old 09-22-02, 09:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know Fish...good point. The only battery I can think of right off that lasts any length of time is a snapper battery...but they are 3 times the price of a regular replacement battery.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: