Engine Starting Problem

Old 09-22-02, 11:28 AM
Tecumseh MTD Lawnmower

Simple problem for the Guru's.

Tecumseh MTD Vector VLV Synergy 55. One day I ran over a tree stump & that shut the engine immediately. I then tried to crank it again to no avail. After smelling gas I located that it is leaking (gas, of course). When I broke the top front panel (which the manual says is the air cleaning unit) gas gushed out of the (what I presume is the) airfilter. All that said, let that filter sundry, & got it cranked again.

Well, this morning when I attempted to crank it, gas saturated the filter again. After a major fiasco of ignoranced mechanics I thought maybe the NET could be of more service, than an exploding lawnmower.

Final prognosis, gas leakes out of the hole that is covered by the air-filter (which is undocumented in the manual), usually when I cold crank it. Oddly enough, the engine doesn't fire at all when this occurs. Sorry for the narrative, but hopefully this will give some wizard out there the information for a solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-02, 07:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Quark.

Welcome to the home of Small Engine Guru's....

Most likely the engine is simply flooding from over choking and not starting. More then likely, the flywheel key is sheared, bent, broken and or damaged to some extent.

Striking an immovable, solid object, with the blade rotating will sheer the flywheel key and the engine will be out of timing adjustment. In this condition, the engine will not start.

Replacing the flywheel key is the only solution. The key holds the flywheel to the crankshaft. It is located directly in the center of the flywheel. To see if it's damaged you'll have to remove the starter cover housing.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck,
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
Old 09-22-02, 08:26 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Quark, if your Vector has run properly since the encounter with the stump you may have dodged the sheared flywheel key. Just because it will run doesn't mean the key isn't slightly sheared throwing it a bit out of time. Sure sign of this is bogging once you begin cutting. It sounds like the fuel flooding is a float malfunction in the carburetor (sticking or stuck open) which could well have come about by the sudden trauma of hitting stump. The carbs on the Vectors are a new design with a light plastic float and it doesn't take much to hang it up. Remove the bowl nut on the bottom of the carb and gently check the float for free movement up and down. Holding up on the float should cut the flow of fuel and letting the float fall should start a fuel flow. Be aware that a float stuck in the open position will not only flood the carb/filter area but can drain fuel into the crankcase thinning the oil and cause complete engine failure if run this way for any amount of time. Changing the oil would be a must once this timing and carb/float issue is resovled. Best of luck.....Mike

Old 10-04-02, 06:08 AM
Thanx for the replies guys. I disassembled the carberator & it seems to be properly functioning (as far as my knowledge goes on it). It's not stuck & seems to move up & down. But is it not odd that it floods gas thru the air filter hole. I'm totally ignorant on the subject, but there is never gas going thru the air-filter of a automobile, is there something different about small engines I don't know about. I try to take the filter off, give the cord a couple of rips (more than a couple) to clear the line, but it still floods. The wierdest part is that it will crank once (from a cold start), but after that it want give the slight its fire.

Any cyberspacers ever had a patient with that diagnosis?

Old 10-04-02, 07:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Quark

The simple fact that the carb is flooding indicates it's either out of adjustment and or the float is not fully closing off the flow of fuel into the bowl.

The fuel level can be yet another cause. The float must be exactly level to the carb body when the body is turned upside down and the float is closed by being inverted. Anything other will cause fuel to continue to enter the bowl.

Until these problems or any one of them can be corrected, it's not likely the flooding problem will be resolved. Unlikely some larger engines and carbs, small engine carbs must precisely meter the fuel.

Excess fuel in the carb will be indicated almost exactly like your experiencing, amongst several other ways and signs of the condition.

Regards & Good Luck,
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Web Site Admin, Moderator Hiring Agent, Host and Forums Manager. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician. Fast, Fair, Friendly and Highly Proficient...

Don't Take Freedom For Granted. Thank A Veteran. Need an Employee? Hire a Veteran

Not only is a mind a terrible thing to waste, it's like a parachute.

It doesn't function until it's OPEN.........

Elvis. "The Sun Never Sets On A Legend."

Gun safety is using BOTH hands!

Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread