Engine Running Problem

Old 09-23-02, 06:28 PM
wakky
Visiting Guest
Only runs with choke on

Riding Lawn Mower:
Been running fine all summer. Now it runs only with choke wide open. Will cut off if I try to close choke even a little bit. Will run all day with choke on but does not have the power needed to do proper job. Two questions...1. What is harm in running for a long time with choke on all the time? 2. What is causing the choke to have to stay on and how do I fix it?

Old 09-23-02, 06:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello wakky!

For starters, we need the engine brand, HP, and model. We don't even know if this is a push mower or riding mower...3hp or 25 hp. Your engine is running lean for one reason or another. Give us the needed info, and we'll help you get it fixed.

Old 09-24-02, 04:57 PM
wakky
Visiting Guest
Stated it was a riding mower in post. Sorry about excluding other info.

What: Riding Lawn Mower
Make: Ultra by Murray Garden Tractor
Horsepower: 19
Cut: 46" with 3 blades
Engine: Briggs and Stratten - Diamond I/C
Spark Plugs: 2

Old 09-24-02, 06:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Confussion....?????

Hello: wakky

You stated: "Been running fine all summer. Now it runs only with choke wide open."

An engine is suppose to run with the choke wide open. Closed is only for cold starting.

Please clearify that part.

You stated: "Will run all day with choke on but does not have the power needed to do proper job."

An engine in proper condition will not run all day with the choke on. It would run far too fuel rich, flood up and die out.

Please clearify if you mean it runs well with the choke ON or will NOT run with the choke OFF {open.}

I suspect you mean the engine will not run unless the choke is ON. That being the case, the carb may be gummed up and will need to be cleaned out.

Additional possibilities:
The float may be stuck. {Fuel level too low in the bowl}
Fuel may be restricted entering the carb.
Fuel may be restricted flowing out of the fuel tank.
The carbs internal ports are clogged up or restricted.
Also check any fuel filter if there is one.
Check the air filter.
Check the choke for proper operation.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals will continue to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

During installations of some parts which may not fit exactly perfect, it may be necessary to apply "BRUTE" force in order to compel compliance......... {....just humor folks... }

Old 09-24-02, 10:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok...if the choke must be on for the engine to run...like I think you're saying...that is a common problem with the opposed twin-cylinder Briggs engines like yours. Remove the air-cleaner and its' housing. Remove the choke cable from the carb. Using a 5/16' nut driver or socket, remove the four screws that hold the top of the carb on. Using a 5/8" wrench, remove the bowl drain nut on the right side of the carb when facing the engine from the front. Then use an allen wrench...(can't remember what size)...to remove the jet that is in the carb, visible through the bowl drain hole. Clean the jet well. You may have to use a piece of wire to open the hole in the center. Clean all dirt and corrosion and anything else you find in the bowl. Spray carb cleaner through all passages that you can see (wear safety goggles so the spray doesn't shoot back into your eyes!). Then reassemble and start mowing!

Maybe I need glasses, lol. I didn't even notice the words Riding mower...even though they were the first ones.

Keep us posted!

Old 09-25-02, 05:21 PM
wakky
Visiting Guest
Hey Big Cheese...you da man!!! I did exactly like you said and now it runs like it used to. The jet was clogged. It took about 40 minutes to clean everything and put back together. Your socket sizes were right on. Sorry about my terminolgy but you paraphrased by problem in your reply.

Tom: thanks for your input also. Will look at those other areas and ensure they are clean or replace so I can maintain the mower. What a great website!!! Thanks again.

Old 09-25-02, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job Wakky!

Glad you got it going! Thanks for letting us know how it went, and let us know if we can ever help again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: