Engine Electrical Question

Old 09-22-02, 06:28 PM
mb1970
Visiting Guest
Craftsman Rider Won't Start

MAY HAVE PULLED A BIG OOPS,AND HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT A LITTLE. MY CRAFTSMAN RIDING MOWER MODEL#917271024 WITH 15.5 H.P. KOHLER ENGINE WOULDN'T START, SO I USED A CHARGER TO JUMP IT,THE FIRST TIME THAT WORKED. THE SECOND TIME I HAD THE CHARGER SET ON 50 AMPS BY ACCIDENT AND THINK I FRIED MY ELECTRICAL SYSTEM.I HAD NOTHING WHEN I TURNED THE KEY,SO I REPLACED THE BATTERY(WHAT I SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE)HAD NOTHING,REPLACED THE SOLONOID AND 15 AMP FUSE NOW I AT LEAST GET A CLICK BUT MY RELAYS ARE HUMMING.IF I REPLACE THE RELAYS,WILL THAT BE ALL IT TAKES TO GET IT RUNNING AGAIN,AND IF NOT WHAT ELSE IS WRONG?
P.S. IF I RUN A WIRE FROM THE BATTERY TO THE STARTER I CAN GET THE THING TO AT LEAST TURN OVER.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-02, 07:36 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome mb1970 to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

I sure hope your sitting down when reading this reply. Grab the chair arm rests my friend just to be sure.

At 50 amps you not only fried everything electrical, there're well done too. Not an easy task for me to be mentioning this mind ya. But well worth knowing the worst case possibility.

Chances are the entire electrical system and all it's individual electrical using and generating componets is burned up and now in need of a professional inspection, testing and most likely replacement.

Without an in person visual inspection and some testing, it's difficult for anyone here to determine exactly what is dameged. If your intending a do-it-yourself repair, most likely you'll need to obtain a service and repair manual for that specific make and model and replace all electrical componets, wiring and componets.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any additional information or ask another question on this same topic, etc. Using the above method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Old 09-24-02, 10:42 AM
mb1970
Visiting Guest
thank you for your reply,but i think it just blew a fuse.The main problem was when I changed the battery I had to move the ground wire to the other side because the posts on the new battery were opposite of the old,when i did that I failed to see that there were two smaller guage wires that were also there and did not get hooked up.pretty stupid,but oh well .

Old 09-24-02, 10:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you find a blown fuse? If so, that's great! That's what the fuse is there for: protection against electrical shorts and such. Sometimes they don't blow when they need to though. Hopefully you'll be OK.