2 Cycle Engine Problem

Old 09-24-02, 09:06 AM
solrac02
Visiting Guest
Weedeater motor stops running

HI,

I have two weedeater gas powered devices, a trimmer and blower. Both where purchased about a year ago. They ran fine I never had to adjust the carb or anything. Both are doing the same thing, if you prime them they will start right up and run for a couple of seconds then quit. I've changed the fuel; I know the spark etc is working. Because I can prime it, I'm guessing that bypasses the normal float/needle type operation? I think it is something in the carb. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-02, 08:27 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome solrac02 to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

It's not exactly likely that two engines would have this problem but it's worth a try, as a starting point in my opinion. Start the engine, keep the machine level and remove the fuel tanks cap and see what happens.

If the engine continues to run properly, the vent hole in the cap is either plugged or restricted.

Check for fuel flow out of the tank both with the cap on and with the cap off the fuel tank. The idea here is to determine if the fuel flow remains continuous and at full flow. If not, check for any type of restriction.

If a problem is noticed, check the fuel filter. Most but not all are located in the fuel tank on a free floating hose with a weighted filter on the end. The filter could be clogged or restricted.

Try a fresh mix of fuel. Be sure the oil to fuel ratio is correct. The engines could be running too lean on oil and overheating.

Yet another possibility could be a muffler or spark arrester is restricted with carbon.

Suggestions:
Read the product manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail lawn mower and or small engine repair shops. Dealers and repair shops are listed in the phone book.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers with you if you stop in at the store.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Check the archives, within this forum, for other postings and replies on this topic of two cycle engine problems.

Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostic Service and Repair Technician.
Personal Quote:
"If it ain't already broke, don't fix, tinker or $#@&$#@! with it until it is broken!"

Old 09-24-02, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Tom has you covered. However, I have one question: Does the primer work well? Do you have to wait after pressing it for it to return to its position so that you can press it again? If so, there is a screen in the carb that needs to be cleaned. When this clogs, it restricts the flow of fuel and is indicated by a slow-acting primer bulb.

Old 09-25-02, 07:52 AM
solrac02
Visiting Guest
Thanks to both of you! I will go through the things Tom has written here.
Thanks again