String Trimmer Questions

Old 09-25-02, 12:27 PM
claybay
Visiting Guest
Question 2 cycle fuel lines/primer bulb

As I looked in your archives, I didn't find this exact problem, so here goes. I was given a McCulloch 3227 HD gas trimmer and found the fuel lines to be cracked from the Texas sun(imagine that!). In replacing them, I'm not sure I put them back correctly, and also the primer bulb has a small crack, but still fills w/gas. The gas tank has 2 inlet holes, as does the primer bulb & carb. On the carb there is a fuel outlet nearer the engine block, & one on the opposite side. As I tried to start the trimmer, it would run for a few seconds,& then die. I noticed air bubbles in the fuel line furtherest from the block as I was attempting to start it. I'm sure the bulb needs replacing but if that's not my problem, I guess I'll disassemble the carb & clean thoroughly as ya'll have suggested in numerous postings previous. I'm sorry this is so long, but I wanted to make sure I was descriptive enough for you to help. Thanks for a tremendously helpful site and to all who give their time in answering simple, stupid & hard questions. Regards, claybay

Old 09-25-02, 01:36 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome claybay to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Simplely because the primer bulb fills with fuel, does not mean the crack isn't letting air in. When using the primer, the finger may be covering up the crack allowing it to prime.

However, once the finger is removed the cracked bulb may be allowing air to enter and show up in the fuel line as you mentioned.

First repair attempt, in my opinion and based upon what you described, I would suggest you start by replacing the cracked primer bulb and determine the results.

If this repair does not resolve the problem, use the REPLY button to add any additional updated information after this first attempt and advise us of the results.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck,
TCB4U2B2B Enterprises
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 09-25-02, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Claybay!

I agree with Tom. Replace the primer bulb first. It only takes a pinhole to allow the carburetor to suck air.

If that doesn't do it...here's how to verify if your lines are connected properly: When you press the primer bulb...one of the outlets will push out air. when you release the bulb, the other outlet will suck in air (with the lines disconnected). Find out which one sucks in air when you release the primer. This one connects to the line that has the filter on the other end in the tank.

Hope this helps!

Old 09-26-02, 02:50 PM
claybay
Visiting Guest
Smile String Trimmer Problems

Thanks, gentlemen. Now all I have to do is locate a primer bulb! Do you think a rubber one off a junked Craftsman Eager-1 mower would work? I've looked at it , but it looks like its made into the carb housing. Any thoughts, interjections would be appreciated!

Old 09-26-02, 04:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: claybay

You can try the used bulb.
Best bet would be to replace it with a new part. If there is any doubt about the hoses, fuel line and filter, replace those also.

These parts are not that costly. Certainly worth the time and money to replace them when you have the parts disassembled, etc.

Parts are available any small engine repair shop and local dealers.

Small Engine Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 09-26-02 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-26-02, 05:49 PM
claybay
Visiting Guest
String Trimmer Problems

Guess what? I used a bulb off my non-running Weedeater SST (only 1 yr. old but another story for another time!) which fit perfectly IF you are careful in disassembling the old Mac bulb, which can be pryed apart with a thin blade knife. The fuel lines are easy to put back right on the bulb: the fuel-in side has IN stamped beneath it (DUH!) and is shorter than the outlet line which goes to the carb. Well, it started almost immediately but, would die after running for about 10 sec. or so. It acts as if its getting too much gas (bogs) maybe some carb adjustment is needed?I've checked the other items you've mentioned in previous posts: vented fuel cap, new spark plug, fresh properly mixed fuel, and carbon deposits. I know I'm missing something, unless I just need to take the carb apart & give it a good bath. Thanks for all your help. Claybay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: