Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generator too loud

Visiting Guest

09-29-02, 10:47 AM   #1  
tegger
Generator too loud

I have a GENERAC 4200W generator with a 8HP Honda GX Series engine in it. The generator runs great, but it is way to loud.

We use it when power dies at our house. In the past, it has successfully power a neighbors freezer and refridge while their electric panel was being replaced.

We used it this past weekend during a NASCAR event. Had several complaints about how loud it was.

Where can I locate a quieter muffler for the character?

This is on the plate on the side of the engine:
GX240-242
Model: F01305-0
Series: 4200

It works great, just need to quiet it down considerably.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

09-29-02, 03:34 PM   #2  
Hello: Tegger

If the existing muffler is the type that flush mounts to the block there may be some minor problems installing a quieter muffler.

You may have to install an OEM larger sized muffler which include extra baffle plates. The extra internal baffles act as a spark arrestor. Some of these types run extra quieter than muffler only types.

If the current muffler is the screw in type which has standard or metric pipe threads, remove the current muffler. Install a longer pipe with a pipe tee on it's end. Install two male threaded end non OEM larger sized mufflers. Having two mufflers quites the engine exhaust noise considerably.

I currently have a gen that was also noisy for residential usage. Converted the single pipe threaded muffler, as mentioned above and since then the engine runs far more quieter and has better breathing abilities. {Minor carb fuel enrichening adjustment was required}

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator,
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company."
Small Engine Repairs and Diagnostics Service Technician.

Visiting Guest

09-29-02, 07:30 PM   #3  
mikejmerritt
Just Brilliant Tom!!

I have had to may people ask me how to tone down a generator and at best my answer has been little real help. Now I have some real help for those with screw in muffler ability. Thanks.....Mike

Search this Thread