Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Riding Lawn Mower

SC

10-01-02, 12:50 PM   #1  
Riding Lawn Mower

SEARS CRAFTMAN 10HP 6 SPEED
IT;S A DOG well when i try to start it ,,, it just makes this grinding noice if i get mad i turn the top that turns you like a push mower where the pull string goes and sometimes it will start but today it just want any help would be great
blackie

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-01-02, 08:16 PM   #2  
Hello Blackie!

Are you saying you pulled the pull rope to start it and it won't start, after trying with the electric starter?

If it grinds with the starter, then most likely your starter bendix drive gear and/or flywheel ring gear is stripped. (unless the "grinding" you describe is actually the solenoid clicking very fast as it would with a discharged battery.)

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

SC

10-03-02, 08:21 AM   #3  
SEARS CRAFTMAN 10HP 6 SPEED

SEARS CRAFTMAN 10HP 6 SPEED CAN I GET A STARTER AT
ADVANCE AUTO
for this rider lawmmower
oh yea i turn it with my hand lol
blackie

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-04-02, 12:18 AM   #4  
Nope...you'll have to go to a lawn mower repair shop for the starter. Make sure you have the model and spec numbers of your engine. Expect the starter to be over $100.00. Really, you only need to replace the bendix drive, not the entire starter. This will be cheaper.

Did you check it to see if that is what you need? If the starter gear is stripped, there is a pretty good chance that the ring gear on the flywheel is stripped in a spot too. If you install a new starter with the stripped ring gear, then you will ruin the new starter gear as well.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread