Lawn Tractor Problem

Old 10-05-02, 01:35 PM
dave beauchamp
Visiting Guest
Question Craftsman Lawn Tractor Repair

I have a Craftsman Lawn Tractor Model 917.270810 with 19.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engine. The engine starts fine. However, when I attempt to engage the transmission or the blades, the engine stalls. But if I push in the clutch, the engine will continue to run. What can I do, if anything, to repair the mower. The engine will also stall if I attempt to start the blades with the transmission in neutral. Oil level is normal and the oil is new. Gasoline is fine. Please help as the grass is now up to my shins. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-02, 05:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Dave to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Your question was moved to provide you with the advice of several professional in this forum.

There could be any number of reasons for the problem. If the engine runs well until the clutch is engaged, which is a load place on the engine, most likely there is binding or dragging of some moving part or parts the engine powers.

Read the other postings and replies offered on this same type of lawn tractor problem in the recent postings, within this forum, for additional help & information on this subject.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 10-06-02, 12:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Dave!

It sounds to me like you have a bad seat safety switch. Lift the seat and check the connection at the switch under it. Make sure the connections are clean and tight. Let us know if you find this to be your problem or not.