Roto Tiller Question

Old 10-19-02, 03:12 PM
tegger
Visiting Guest
Question MTD Yardmachines Tiller

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the gas tank from my tiller.

My dad returned it and it won't run. So, I took the spark plug out and put in a new one. After fiddling around with it, I put a little gas directly in the carb and it fired up and ran until it ran out of gas in the carb.

Now, I need to figure out how to remove the tank so it can be drained. From the looks of things, I pretty much have to remove the engine from the tiller to get the thing off.

(I want to drain the tank and check the lines. The carb is mounted directly over the tank and looks like there is a line going directly from the carb into the tank. I have a feeling that it is either plugged up or rusted out.)

MTD Yardmachines Tiller
Model 215-340-352
Briggs & Stratton egine type 0258-01 (Model 135-202).

I search B&S website with no luck on how to get the tank off. Tomorrow, I'll probably go ahead and remove the engine from the tiller chassis and put it on my bench. Maybe then I can get the tank off and see the fuel intake.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-02, 11:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello again Tegger!

On those engines, I have found it easier to remove the carburetor from the engine/tank to clean it, rather than the tank. The carb is screwed to the tank and the fuel pickup tube is underneath the carb. You should be able to remove the carb, clean it out, clean out the fuel reservoir in the tank (you'll see what I'm talking about when you get it apart), clean the screen on the pickup tube, replace the gaskets, and reassemble. Make sure you note where all linkages are connected to the carb before removing it so that you get it all connected properly when reassembling.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 10-21-02, 06:36 AM
tegger
Visiting Guest
Carb removal

The fun part has been trying to figure out how to remove the carb.

The muffler seems to block two bolts that hold the carb to the side of the engine itself. The bolts that hold the muffler are a little rusted up.... well, actually a lot rusted up.

Old 10-21-02, 11:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You're right...that's the fun part, lol . Do your best to remove the muffler. If you think the bolts are going to break, you might opt to remove the engine to get the tank off. It's the only way, since the tank has to drop down about 4 inches to get it off if you leave the carb attatched. Try getting the bolts out. Then, to get the carb off, use a combination wrench and a good flat head screwdriver...if the bolts are slotted. It's not as easy as some, but not usually very hard. If you happen to break off the exhaust bolts, you can drill them and use an easy out, or replace the muffler with a screw-in type. The exhaust port is threaded for that type of muffler.