Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Question

Visiting Guest

10-20-02, 05:30 AM   #1  
eggdrop
briggs & stratton smokes

I have a 11hp 400cc briggs and stratton on a riding lawn mower. It seems to run fine besides the fact that after i shut it down a small amount of smokes is released from the top of the engine through the holes. Is this something I should be concerned about because other than that it seems to run fine.

Sponsored Links
Admin Emeritus

CAL

10-20-02, 06:59 AM   #2  
Hello and Welcome eggdrop to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Depending upon what color the smoke is, the color may reveal and possibly determine what the problem is.

If the color of the smoke is blue, the engine may have an upper end oil leak or loose head bolts. Look for oil residue and or oily deposits. If any are present, try slightly & carefully tightening up the head bolts.

If the color of the smoke is brown or similar in color, there could be an accumulation of leaves and other types of debris under the starter housing cover.

Accumulations of any types of debris under the starter housing cover restricts air flow. Restricted air flow will cause the engine to run hotter.

When the engine is turned off, the cooling air flow stops and makes the smoke visable. If this is or may be the problem, remove the starter housing and clean out the cooling fins.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck,
Tom_B
Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Search this Thread