Snowblower Problem

Old 10-21-02, 09:36 AM
remove wheel from snowblower

I have an old Airens 2 stage snowblower. One of the wheels needs a new inner tube but I can't get the wheel off. The wheel appears to be secured by a bolt though the axle between the wheel and transmission (unlike my Toro which has a pin on the outside of the wheel). I removed the bolt but it did not come free or even spin on the axle.

What am I missing? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 11:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello pjaffe!

Taking your wheel off may end up being quite a task. When those wheels get stuck on the shaft, you can heat, use pullers, air hammers, squirt with penetrating oil, and fight with it for hours and get nowhere. Other times, they come off with just a bit of persuasion using one or more of the methods previously mentioned. What I would reccomend is to install the tube while the wheel is attatched to the machine. If you do get the wheel off, coat the axle with never-sieze before re-installing the wheel, to make removal easier the next time.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 10-22-02, 07:47 AM
how to remount tire?

On my Toro I tried to replace the tube and while I was able to get one tire bead off the rim to give me room to put in a new tube, I couldn't get the bead back onto the rim. I hate to haul the entire machine in to get the tube changed but I am not sure how to remount the tire on the rim.

Old 10-22-02, 09:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It can be tricky on some tires. Some people use screwdrivers, some use a tire tool made for the job. Either way, you have to watch out that you don't puncture the tube in the process. If you use 2 large screwdrivers, you can start one side of the tire back on the rim, then pry the tire on a little at a time working around the rim. Be careful not to jab yourself with the screwdrivers. The correct tire tool may prove to be hard to find.

Old 11-03-02, 02:01 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
replaceing bead on rim of tire

have a lawn service and run into this all the time , when remounting tire , i clamp a pair of channel locks , small pair , on rim and then work the tire back on rim with screew drivers , ouch watch that tube when doing this

Old 11-03-02, 02:03 PM
ALMOST
Visiting Guest
rusted brain there again on tire replacement

i said channel locks , but vise gripes are the thing to use , had a brain drain there , sorry