Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Snowblower won't start

PA

11-05-02, 05:01 PM   #1  
Snowblower won't start

I have a Snow King SC 522 snowblower with an HS 50 Tecumseh engine. I am unable to start the engine. I checked and found a small amount of gas in the tank. I usually run it dry in the spring, it must have quit running with the gas in the tank. I'm guessing the gas gummed up the carburator. Can I disassemble the cover and clean the carburator with a spray cleaner?

I have put fresh gas in and it won't start. I'm going to get a new plug also. I'll check the spark if the cleaning and new plug don't help.

Thanks,

Sherm

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-05-02, 10:58 PM   #2  
Hello Dsherm!

You should be able to disassemble the carb and clean it just fine with spray carb-cleaner. You may need to replace the diaphragm and gasket when you do. Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-06-02, 09:38 AM   #3  
Snowblower start stuff.....

I picked up a junker Ariens and swished the tank with starter spray and dumped it out. I noticed that it had a stainless screen inside so non of the rust could get to the carb. I put a new plug in and used a bike pump to force air through the carb with the bottom screw removed. Looked like solidified honey and dirt that came out but then a stream or air. Capped it, wd40'd the "rusted solid carb controls" and gave it fresh gas and it runs great. You might just blow the carb out..... worked 4 me.

PA

11-06-02, 11:28 AM   #4  
To Racket 7,

I'll give your suggestion a try. I have an electric pump to use. My snow blower is also sold as an Arien's. Actually, it's made by Noma, I think they make most of the store brands.

I assume you blew the carb out on the machine right? You didn't remove it.

Thanks,

Sherm

Search this Thread