Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2-cycle engine "oscillates"

Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 06:29 AM   #1  
mozeydozey
2-cycle engine "oscillates"

I've posted before regarding my back pack blower. No restriction was found in the vent cap. Regardless of it's operating temp, the engine at full throttle "oscillates". Meaning, the rpm's go from low to high at rather fast cycles for a few minutes then just stalls. If I vary the throttle, it will stall even sooner. Any Suggestions? If the engine needs work, are there any resources I can use to do the work myself? My local library has no shop manual for even basic general maintainance for a 2 cycle engine. By the way, the blower is made by HOMELITE. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-10-02, 04:54 PM   #2  
buttlint
Moze,

Homelite doesnt really offer much in the way of service manuals. They are now owned by Ryobi, sold from John Deere, and are in a state of confusion.
Homelite blowers have a couple of common problems that you should probly check first, before going into the specific problem that you are having.
First check the carb and the cylinder and make sure that they are tight. They loosen up quite often, and can cause problems.
The fuel lines rot and crack after a short period. They develope radial cracks that starve the carb of fuel. While you are at it, see if there is any crap in your fuel tank, causing the fuel filter to clog.
If you have the engine cover off, check the spark screen in the muffler. It can become saturated with carbon, restricting exhaust flow. If you have that off, check the piston and cylinder for scroring or other problems. I mean as long as you are there, take a peak. Slowly pull the rope to move the piston.
Any one of those things can cause problems.
I dont have your model number or the date of manufacture, but I suspect that you have a lean running condition. If you look at the side of your carb, there may be 2 adjustment screws. One is white and the other is red. Those arent really the adjustment screws, they are restrictor caps, the actual adjustment screws are beneath them. They are there so that one cannot richen the mixture and cause the air to become polluted. Unless yours have fallen off, which many have been known to do, they only allow you to turn them 1/2 turn from when they were set at the factory. As these machines break in and become older, sometimes they demand more fuel than they did when they were new.
Again, not knowing how old the unit is, its a bit difficult to draw any further conclusions. Just make sure that your fuel is mixed properly, and is not over, lets say 6 weeks.
If after checking the above items, you still have a problem, you know where to find us.
Happy hunting, 'lint.

Search this Thread