Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Storing chipper/shredder

IA

11-12-02, 05:49 PM   #1  
Storing chipper/shredder

Kind of a stupid question- I recently purchased a 5.5 HP MTD chipper/shredder. Due to it's layout (2 rear wheels opposite the hopper), it takes up a rather large amount of space. Will it harm the unit to store it in my shed with the hopper standing up? I know if there is no oil in it, it wouldn't be a problem-but what if I leave the oil in it? I searched the manual and could find nothing that pertains to this. Storing it this way would take up a third the space. This would be for overwintering - not everyday storage.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-12-02, 11:11 PM   #2  
Hello Fishpounder!

I would only suggest storing it in that position if the oil and gas were drained. Otherwise, oil will seep into and fill the combustion chamber, possibly the carb, and possibly the PCV valve and into the air filter....ruining the filter.

Hope this helps!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

11-18-02, 06:09 PM   #3  
mastertekTN
your question is not stupid. we small engine mechanics learn a lot of what we know from asking questions. cheese is rite, it could cause you some headaches storing it this way. have a good day.

Search this Thread