snowblower won't start

Old 11-17-02, 03:48 PM
hrprez
Visiting Guest
Question snowblower won't start

I have a 4 cycle, 5hp techumseh mtd blower w/electric start that won't start. I changed the oil, put in new gas, new plug. After I spray staring fluid in spark plug hole it runs for a few seconds then it won't start again. There seems to be no fuel getting to plug. I also sprayed carb cleaner in throttle throte. It won't stay running.
What am I missing?

Old 11-17-02, 07:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
snowblower won't start

The gas that was left in the carb. of your snow blower over the summer has turned to a gummy varnish. Your carb. will most likely have to be taken apart and cleaned.
You can't clean anything by spraying carb. cleaner in the carb.. The carb. cleaner normally attacts the rubber gaskets and screws them up. The carb. cleaner should only be used on the metal parts of the carb. that are covered with varnish.
If you can't take the carb. apart and clean it I would have your local mower shop do it.

Old 11-18-02, 09:49 AM
R
also, i had this problem once and it turned out the needle valve that injects fuel into the carb bowl, was not attached to the float and was not allowing fuel to enter the bowl.

you can check this by taking off the bowl and seeing if fuel is present.

good luck!

Old 11-20-02, 06:52 PM
mastertekTN
Visiting Guest
To keep from having this problem in the furture you can put stabilizer in your fuel before storage ,but you need to run the engine some to get the stabilize in the carburator.Next option is to start it up and run it for around 5 mins. about once a month. Next option run or drain the gas out if you drain it you will still need to drain the carb. or run it util the carb. is dry. I would go with starting it about once a month, that works best for me. Hope this helps.

Old 11-21-02, 04:57 AM
R
just out of curiosity, are we jumping the gun a little bit by assuming gummed up carburetor? he said no fuel getting to plug, if it was gummed up, some fuel would be getting up to the plug, just not enough to keep it running smoothly and consistently.

I am encouraging him to make sure fuel is able to get out of the bowl by checking the needle valve and make sure it is attached to the float. If there is no fuel in the bowl, it can't get to the plug.

Of course, it could also be gummed up carburetor.

take care.

Old 11-21-02, 05:05 PM
hrprez
Visiting Guest
There is fuel getting to the bowl. The only way it will kick over is if I spray starter fluid in spark plug. I starts after a few seconds then won't start again. I filled bowl Marvel oil and I'm letting it sit for a week to see if this will clean something. I'm not comfortable taking the carb apart yet. I'll try this first.

Old 11-22-02, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello hrprez!

You may be fine just to remove the bolt that holds the bowl on, and clean the tiny holes in it. There should be tiny holes in the side of the bolt, and down in the middle. These holes are what allows the fuel in the bowl to be drawn up through the carb. Usually this will straighten it out. The mystery oil probably won't do anything.

Old 11-22-02, 08:26 AM
hrprez
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I'll try that

Old 11-23-02, 12:51 PM
hrprez
Visiting Guest
Hey, I got it started. I don't know what did it, The Marvel oil, cleaning the holes n the screw that holds the carb bowl, or what. No matter it works. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 11-24-02, 01:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Good job! Glad you got it going!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: