Rope Pull Starter Problem

Old 11-24-02, 08:47 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rewinding a B&S pull starter?

The spring coil on my B&S quantum lawn mower apparently slipped and the starter rope woild not retract back into the starter.

I removed the cover containing the starter assembly, rewound the rope counter-clockwise back into the pulley, however there was'nt any tension on it to suggset it was rewinding the coil. Nor did it work.

Is it necessary to open the coil assembly. What is the purpose of the two opposite retracting plastic tabs. Suggestions please.

Old 11-24-02, 09:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: kennn

Try reversing the direction of the rope rewinding. Very possible the direction is incorrect, providing the caged spring assembly isn't defective or broken.

If you can determine there is tensioning on the rope pulley when turning the pulley, the spring is most likely okay and still secured to the housing. Check the housing for the springs securing tab which may be attached to the side of the housing.

If there is no tensioning in either direction, the spring is the problem. Use caution if you attempt to remove the pulley. A caged spring under tension can become dangerous to deal with.

Be sure the pulley rotates freely and there is no binding or excessive drag while rotating it. If there is tensioning in either direction but there is drag or binding during the rotation, clean the area under the pulley with WD 40.

Allow the cleaner time to dry or air blow it dry with compressed air if you have an air compressor. Then lightly spray silcone lube the spring area and moving parts afterwards.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 11-24-02, 10:14 AM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I removed the pulley from the coil and and determined that the coil end that is supposed to be connected to the center of the pulley has come loose, however I am unable to minipulate it back into it connector while closing the coil back into the cover (the end of the coil may be bent. If i were able (and I don't think I will be) to get the end of coil connected back to the center of the pulley, should the rope be wound or unwound onto the pulley.

Old 11-25-02, 12:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello kenn!

I would suggest cutting off the old rope and installing a new one once you get it back together. You don't want to do this all over again when the rope breaks if you can prevent it now. If the spring came off, it will come off again. Either something broke, bent, or wore off. Check it close. Once you get the spool connected to the spring and back into place, then turn the spool by hand until the spring is wound all the way up, then unwind it one turn, then feed the pull rope through the housing and install it on the spool, then let the rope rewind, but make sure the handle is on the other end first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: