Rope Pull Starter Problem

Old 11-24-02, 08:55 AM
offcenter
Visiting Guest
Flywheel

I love working in my yard and I mow quite often. This year several parts wore out on my mower: replaced the drive wheels, primer bulb, and skirt. I really need a new grass catcher, but the price! Ouch. Question: When I pull my starter rope, it has only a short spot where it catches and if I pull out a little too far is not winding back in without a little help. Looking at the owner's manual I am not sure what exactly is the proper way to go about the repair. It may be a silly question, but does one replace the entire recoil starter, or the pully and rewind spring assembly?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-02, 10:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: offcenter

Quickest, easiest and safest method to resolve the problem is to remove the entire starter housing from the engine. Take the housing and starter assembly to the nearest small engine repair shop or lawn mower repair shop for the needed repairs.

Read the existing questions in this forum on the subject of rope pull starters for additional information. Doing so will provide repair methods and procedures.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your topic several times over the next several days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 11-25-02, 12:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello offcenter!

I agree with Tom...that would be easiest. If you intend to repair this yourself, we need to know the manufacturer of the engine and model# in order to determine which style starter mechanism you have.

BE CAREFUL when removing the rope spool and rewind spring. Wear safety glasses, or better yet...a face shield...and bullet-proof vest, lol. These springs can come out violently and cut you up if you aren't careful.