Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Running Problem

Visiting Guest

11-24-02, 11:41 AM   #1  
PowerSurge
Pop on decel?

Hey guys, as mentioned in my other thread, I have a 6hp OHV Tecumseh in a minibike. The motor is brand new, I just bought it. When I'm riding the bike, and I go into a good decel, it backfires once and seems to loose a bit of throttle response. The only thing I've touched on the carb is I moved the throttle spring to get rid of all the dead spot in the throttle (i.e., you can move the throttle linkage almost half way before the motor responds). Also sometimes the motor doesn't want to idle unless I give it a bit of throttle. Any help is appreciated.

SAL

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

11-24-02, 05:59 PM   #2  
Re: Pop on decel?

Hello: Sal

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PowerSurge
[B]"When I'm riding the bike, and I go into a good decel, it backfires once and seems to loose a bit of throttle response."

Classic signs of a lean running carburetor. May need to slightly fuel richen the low speed adjustment screw.

"The only thing I've touched on the carb is I moved the throttle spring to get rid of all the dead spot in the throttle (i.e., you can move the throttle linkage almost half way before the motor responds)."

Another classic sign of a lean carburetor.

"Also sometimes the motor doesn't want to idle unless I give it a bit of throttle. Any help is appreciated. "

Since the engine is new, I would not suspect valves, valve timming, engine timming, vaccum leaks, etc.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Visiting Guest

11-24-02, 07:25 PM   #3  
mikejmerritt
Tom goes straight to the problem in each case. The back firing is almost always carb related on a new engine. On older engines back firing can be caused by wobbly valves and many other things. When you say "you can move the throttle linkage almost half way before the motor responds" tells me there is something out of whack in the linkage but that could be nothing but throttle hookup problems. If its not throttle hookup problems I would have the trouble checked out by a dealer as warranty work.....Mike

Visiting Guest

11-24-02, 08:25 PM   #4  
mastertekTN
check to be sure the carb bolts are tite, while you are at it check over the entire engine make sure everything is tite , check for leaks and kinked fuel lines. you may want to take the fuel line loose at the carb, to see if you are getting a good flow of fuel. I see alot of strange things with new engines, all kinds of promlems. you may have some debris ,like plastic shavings or some kind of metal shavings in the tank and carburetor. good luck. <mastertek>

Search this Thread