snowthrower engine problem

Old 11-25-02, 09:46 AM
snowthrower engine problem

hi

I bought an old craftsman snowthrower with a tecumseh engine. It vibrates a lot and I have lost a fair amount of parts due to the vibrating.

The throttle lever broke in half so now I just keep it in full throttle position. The primer button lost half of it's parts including the spring which kept it away from the carb. opening. While the engine is running, the primer button is constantly getting pulled into the carb. opening and I think this is affecting how it runs, it has not been running well.

Also, I am worried that the float is not working well given a constant leak from the carb. bowl. I changed the needle and the gasket but it keeps leaking.

So my question is: Should I fix the primer button or just remove all parts and prime it using my thumb? Is is doing more harm than good the way it is?

Also, should I replace the entire carb. The snowthrower is at least 20 years old and I don't have the money to buy a new one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-02, 06:49 PM
mastertekTN
Visiting Guest
I would suggest you take the carb. off and take it to a shop and have them clean and rebuild it completely, this should be cheaper than buying a new carb. for sure cheaper than new snow thrower , you mite even want to thake the whole machine to shop and have them give you estimates on all the repairs. hope this helps

Old 11-25-02, 10:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Robert!

It doesn't sound to me like you need to replace the carb, just rebuild it like mastertek said. When you replaced the needle, did you replace the seat too? Sometimes when the old seat is very old, and you remove it to install a new one, pieces of the old one get left behind...stuck in the carb. They can make the carb flood. Also, the new seat installs two ways, but only one is correct. You can go to www.sears.com and go to parts. There you may be able to pull up an exploded view of your equipment so that you can identify and order the lost parts you need. If the unit shakes and vibrates badly, I would inspect all rotating parts for clogged debris, bent or broken pieces, or anything that can throw it out of balance to cause the vibration.

Old 11-26-02, 04:57 AM
Hi

Thanks a lot! I have been thinking about this for a while. I just don't know about taking it someplace to have it overhauled, places these days are charging so much money. I got this snowthrower from a yardsale because I couldn't afford a new one. I would like to keep the costs down.

But thanks for the advice.

One question: What about the primer button? Do you think if the spring fell off that keeps it away from the carb, is affecting the way it runs. Specifically, at close choke, it doesn't run as well as when at half choke.

I have read other posts and some say it is running lean.

Thanks

Old 11-26-02, 08:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure what "spring" you are referring to. Can you post your model # off the engine? Is it a 2 or 4 stroke engine? The engine should run terribly on full choke. Full choke is just to start the engine. Half choke to warm it up, and open choke when operating. If it runs better on half than on open, then I would agree that it is running lean.