Lawn Tractor Question

Old 11-26-02, 06:07 PM
hexagone
Visiting Guest
JD 160 lawn mower tractor belt guides

I had to replace the motor-transaxle belt on a second hand John Deere lawn mower tractor, model 160. Not knowing that the belt guides must be accurately positionned, I did not pay attention when I replaced the belt. Now, I have difficulties to shift. I suspect that the belt and the belt guides are not properly adjusted, but I do not have an owner manual. Does anyone know how to adjust them?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-02, 08:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello hexagone!

I am not so familiar with the JD160 that I can tell you off the top of my head how to adjust it. I don't have a manual for that machine either. Many JD dealers are helpful and would probably be glad to show you their manual. If not, manuals can be found all over the internet. Just type John Deere repair manuals in a search engine. You'll get loads of hits.

Maybe someone else here can give you detailed instructions. Anyone?

The generic set of instructions that I would give are:

Look at the linkage going from the clutch pedal to the tensioner pulley. Somewhere in that linkage should be a place to make adjustments in the linkages' length. Adjust it so that the belt is tight when the pedal is released, and loose when the pedal is pressed. Sometimes the linkage isn't adjustable, but the mounting hole for an idler pulley is slotted for adjustment.

Check all belt guides and keepers. They should not touch the belt when the belt is engaged. They should be close enough to the pulley to keep the belt from slipping off, but not touching the pulley.