Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

12-03-02, 07:02 AM   #1  
Snow blower-GAS:no SPARK:yes

is this a common phenomenon every start of season?
My little poor Sears snow blower is not getting gas; I checked for spark-ok.
I have fresh gas in there.
I opened the float bowl- plenty of gas in there. so I know filter is not clogged.

the problem: it is not getting gas to piston. I must of pulled on that rope at least a hundred time(my right arm looks like Popyee) choke is on and even had my hand over the choke to super choke it- no luck spark plug is not getting wet!
it was starting fine last season;
note:
At the end of last season I let it run until it was out of gas then stored it in garage? is this a sin? i need to blow my snow now!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-03-02, 10:06 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Dump a little fuel into the chamber. If it runs and fires up and then dies, you have a fuel problem.

I would guess there is a clog in the fuel line or the carb has some trash in it, even though you drained it. Make sure all passage ways are clear.

You don't mention any model specifics or engine specifics........

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-03-02, 09:33 PM   #3  
Hello Handyhand!

We could give more detailed info if we knew what HP and brand engine you have, but I will take a guess that you have a tecumseh engine and the carb needs cleaning. Remove the bolt that holds the carb bowl on. There are tiny holes in the sides of it and one down the center. Clean these out and clean the bowl if it is dirty. If the rest of the carb appears to be fairly clean, then this is likely all you'll need to do. Also make sure the float is dropping and letting fuel enter the bowl.

Let us know how it goes!...or if I guessed wrong.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

12-04-02, 05:30 AM   #4  
it is running

Joe_F and cheese,
Lauson-Power Products ?
Thanks for your help. success. fished a wire up the venturi tube and now it is purring like a kitten. Also I did have sediment in the bowl. Since I had things uncovered I took a closer look at the carb and saw a brass fitting sticking out with no hose attached; whats it for? should I put a plug on it? it is not for Priming- I already have that. turbo attachment?

Visiting Guest

12-04-02, 09:43 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Lauson Power Products is Tecumseh.

The other thing sounds like some sort of vent. It might have been an alternative location for a fuel line for another snowblower or equipment application.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-04-02, 11:23 PM   #6  
Yup...its a tecumseh.

Glad you got it going! The fitting you describe sounds like a bowl vent. That would be my guess if the engine is older. Since it says lauson, I guess it's an older one. Don't plug it off. It won't suck in trash, but if you're concerned about getting debris in it, you can stick a piece of breathable foam over it. No need to worry about it though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-05-02, 08:10 AM   #7  
Tcumcman
Lauson Engine

YEP....That brass tube IS the atmospheric vent tube for the float
bowl. Definitely don't want that stopped up or otherwise blocked
off. ALL....Good advice given thus far. GOOD JOB guys !!

Tcumcman

Visiting Guest

12-06-02, 05:26 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I learned something even with my educated guess .

Always feels good to help someone out.

12-09-02, 10:48 AM   #9  
Handyhand: Just curious, does your snowblower engine have a primer bulb? My H80 has a similar tube sticking out that attaches to the primer bulb. Pressing the bulb pressurizes the bowl chamber and forces fuel into the carb, rather than waiting for vacuum to draw it up.

Also, avoid fishing wire up the venturi tube. You could potentially jam something up there further, or scrape a metal shaving off and up into the tube. Better to use some fluid or compressed air in the opposite direction (from carb throat down to bowl) to try to dislodge.

A good way to prevent this from happening is to run it dry in the spring, and then thoroughly clean out the carb using a carb cleaner spray---bowl off of course.

Search this Thread