Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Startup Problems

12-10-02, 04:33 AM   #1  
Fuel Injection Cleaner for Small Engine Startup Problems

I recently ran into a starting problem with my Snapper snowblower w/Tecumseh 7 HP Engine. It was obvious that the Carb was gummed up, since I didn't put in any stabilizer like I should have. Anyway, I sprayed the Carb thoroughly with Gumout and that seemed to have fixed the problem. My brother suggested that it wouldn't hurt to also add some Injection Cleaner in the gas as an added precaution. Before I do that, I wanted to see if any of you have used injection cleaner in a small engine for improved performance. Also, would it have any negative impact on the carb?

Sponsored Links

12-10-02, 04:45 AM   #2  
I've never heard of using injector cleaner in a small engine. As far as I know, injector cleaner works under high pressure, which is lacking from a normally-aspirated engine such as yours.

If anything, consider using a small amount of fuel stabilizer as directed, and run the machine every few weeks for 10-15 minutes. At the end of the season, run it dry and clean out the carb with carb cleaner (remove bowl).

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 05:44 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Use fuel stabilizer as the other poster suggested.

Fuel injection cleaner is not suited for small engines..it may attack rubber carburetor parts and ruin them.

12-10-02, 06:58 AM   #4  
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll stick with the stabilizer unless someone has a safer and better solution. I was afraid to experiment with the injection cleaner and possibly ruining my carb. Has anyone successfully tried ether based fuel additives for cars in small engines or are they too strong?

Visiting Guest

12-10-02, 09:00 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Why?

They don't do much in cars, why would they benefit small engines?

There's no "fix in a can". The root problem (if there is one) has to be found and corrected.

I own six cars and maintain 15 others for family and friends. None of them uses any additives .

Search this Thread