Starting Problem

Old 12-11-02, 12:56 PM
jamestkirk
Visiting Guest
I can't get my 5 HP Brigs&Stratton to start...

It's an older engine. It has points and a suction lift carb on it. Also it's one of the upright models where the spark plug is at the top, shaft out the side if you know what I mean. I think that would be horizontal shaft? I always get confused with that.

It ran without a problem the last time I used it, it just ran out of gas on me.

I drained the gas I had put into it to see some sedimate in the bottom of the tank (metal tank) and the gas was bad.

I took the carb out and blew it out with air to get all the gunk out of it and I also cleaned out the tank.

I put the carb back on the engine and tank and tried to start it but it still wouldn't go. I put my hand over the top of the carb and I can feel it sucking.

I tried pouring some gas down the carb but it didn't fire or anything.

I checked the spark plug and it has a great spark.

It feels like it has compression when I turn it by hand.

Sorry I don't have a model number I couldn't seem to find it anywhere on the engine.

What do you guys think it could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-02, 03:42 PM
J A Boggan
Visiting Guest
You might check the flywheel key to make certain it isn't sheared or partially sheared.

Old 12-11-02, 03:43 PM
jamestkirk
Visiting Guest
Ok. I'll look at that tomorrow. Also going to check the Gap and see if something might have jarred loose or something.

The engine is for my Mini bike.

Old 12-11-02, 10:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello James! Welcome to doityourself!

If you have gas, spark, and air, then you may have too much gas, spark at the wrong time (points problem,/ sheared flywheel key) or bad compression (stuck valve etc...), or an exhaust restriction. You're right...it's a horizontal engine. An easy way to remember this is that the horizon is horizontal.

Try dropping some gas into the spark plug hole rather than through the carb to see if it runs for a second or two.

Old 12-12-02, 08:08 AM
Did you use a new carb-block gasket when you reinstalled the carburetor? If not, the old one may be admitting air, thereby leaning your engine too much.

It is also possible that using compressed air lodged a particle somewhere in the carb. Consider using a solvent to clean your carb, because the bad gas you described probably deposited varnish which probably didn't get dislodged with the air.

Did you disassemble the carb assembly at all? If not, then you probably still have gunk in it. Also, if you DID disassemble it, then maybe it didn't go together the same way (e.g., adjustments, ripped gaskets, etc.).

The other advice is good; keep us posted.

Old 12-12-02, 01:14 PM
jamestkirk
Visiting Guest
Well I didn't get a chance to get it at it today even though I really wanted to.

I'm going to check for a sheered flywheel key tomorrow. The points are fine because they were just put on last year and the engine probable doesn't have more than 2 or possibly 3 hours of use since then.

I'll have to get some Varsal (sp?) and try and clean the carb out a bit that way.

Also I forgot to mention that the engine caught fire once because gas was leaking under the carb gasket between the carb and the tank. I cleaned things up around the area (including air filter) and got a new rubber elbow piece that goes to a pipe that goes into the valve spring compartment. It ran fine, it was starting within 2 pulls full choke from cold.

I'm wondering if that diaphram could have been damaged from the fire and the effects are just setting in now after this long. I don't know a lot about what that diapharm does. I'll certainly check into it when I get a chance to work on the engine again.

Thanks for the kind welcome and also for the advice given.

Old 12-12-02, 10:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes...definitely replace all carb gaskets and diaphragms after catching fire. One of these was bad prior to the fire if it was leaking. Try dripping some gas in the plug hole and start it. If it runs shortly, then you have carb problems.

Old 12-13-02, 07:14 PM
jamestkirk
Visiting Guest
Yea, I had actually replaced the gasket between the tank and the carb after the fire. Replaced it again now.

I'm getting a new diapharm for it. I took it out and it was kinda dried out and not to rubbery if you know what I mean. Haha!

I'm almost possitive that it'll run for a short time when I put gas in the comustion chamber because there is spark and compression.

I checked the flywheel key today and it was fine. My money is on the diapharm. You could actually see through some of it. It was worn out and dried out probably mostly due to that fire I had.

Must be running the carb dry of gas that one time made that thing dry the rest of the way out because like I say it did run before it ran out of gas. LOL!

Old 12-14-02, 01:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you can see through the diaphragm, then you need one for sure! It should only run you $2.00 or less for a new one.

Old 12-16-02, 02:54 PM
jamestkirk
Visiting Guest
The diaphram costed $3.

I put it in and it still wouldn't start so I took the plug out and put a piece of material on the end of a screw driver and tried my hand at cleaning out the spark plug hole threads and whatnot. I also cleaned the spark plug.

The spark is really good on this baby. Nice white one. When I was cleaning it out I spun the flywheel slowly to feel if there was compression etc. and I zapped myself 3 times haha.

Anyhow after doing all that I got it running.

Old 12-16-02, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! Glad you got it going!

Search this Thread