Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starter electrical problems

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 06:53 AM   #1  
Bald Eagle
Starter electrical problems

I'll give you a quick background of what happened so you can help me.

Simplicity garden tractor. 15 HP Briggs & Stratton single cyl. engine. Large Delco Reamy starter/generator. Has been very well maintained and has worked perfectly for 25 years.

Started fine one morning and I plowed some snow. After a short break I tried to start it again and I cranked fine but would not fire. When I released the key to stop the starter motor it would not stop cranking. I rotated the key several times from start to run to off with no success. I removed the key from the ignition and she kept cranking. While I scrambled to get a wrench to disconnect the battery it continued to crank. But at no time did it want to fire and start. I would say that it took me approx. two minutes to get a wrench and disconnect the ground cable. As we all know that's a very long time for a starter to crank.

My experience told me that the solenoid is probably stuck or the key switch is faulty. I checked the key switch and it seems to check out OK. I just happened to have a new replacement solenoid out in my tool shed and put it on. Nothing has cured my problem. I charged the battery and tried everything I can think of to get it to crank. No luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-16-02, 06:03 PM   #2  
Hello Bald Eagle!

So you still have 2 problems right? (won't stop cranking and won't fire)? The continuous cranking is caused by one of 3 things: Either the battery cable and starter cable are touching at the solenoid, or...the solenoid is sticking (doubtful if you installed a new one)...or you are getting power on the solenoid trigger wire from somewhere...like a bad switch or shorted wires.

Once you get it to crank only when holding the key to start, then you can start tracking down the no-start condition by checking first for spark at the plugs. If there is spark, check for fuel. You don't want the engine to start if the starter keeps turning because once the engine starts it can spin the windings out of the starter armature.

Let us know what you find...we'll help you fix it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 06:26 PM   #3  
Bald Eagle
Hi Cheese, Thanks for your response.

I guess I need to clear up a couple of things.

1. The engine ran just fine until my starter problem started.
2. I thought the solenoid would be the likely culprit but, yes, I did replace the solenoid with a new one I already had. I also took the old one apart and the contacts look like new even though it is about 8 years old.
3. Now that I have replaced the solenoid and checked out the key switch the starter does not crank when I attach the battery cables. But it also will not crank when I turn the key switch to the start position. Everything is dead. The battery charge is good.

I guess my next thing to do is have the starter/generator checked out. And also to thoroughly check out the entire wiring harness for exposed or pinched wires. Thanks for reminding me of this possibility.

I may have some time to get back into it tomorrow.

Visiting Guest

12-16-02, 08:48 PM   #4  
mastertekTN
sounds like you guys have it coverd. Just wanted to say, if you do have to have the starter/generator worked on, you mite want to get the price. I had one repaired this past summer $ 120.00. Good luck.

Visiting Guest

12-17-02, 09:49 AM   #5  
Bald Eagle
Ouch!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-17-02, 06:46 PM   #6  
OK...check your fuses first of all. If they are all good, then locate the wire that supplies power at the keyswitch. Make sure you have power there, if so, locate the small wire that supplies power to the solenoid. Make sure you have power to the solenoid when you turn the key. If so, make sure that wire is connected to the proper terminal. Then make sure the solenoid is grounded either by wire or through the mounting bolts. If you have power in the solenoid windings, and it is grounded, then it should click. If not, then it is bad...(again...doubtful since you installed a new one, but it is still possible).

Here's a thought....the small red wire that attatches to one of the large posts on the solenoid....is it attatched to the post with the battery cable, or the one with the starter cable? It should be on the post with the battery cable. If it is not in the right spot, you won't have power to anything at all. (this does have a separate solenoid from the starter, right?)

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-27-05, 05:17 PM   #7  
nosfreak2
I need help How to you take apart a starter for a simplisity model 7013
i have tried every thing and can not get the damn thing apart HELP

Search this Thread