Gas Leak from Exhaust

Old 12-18-02, 11:30 AM
Talking Gas Leak from Exhaust

I have a Sears Craftsman chainsaw. Well, it will not start and leaks fuel out of the exhaust. I put in a new spark plug and it tried to start just once. It had spark.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-02, 05:46 PM
mastertekTN
Visiting Guest
Its possible the saw was flooded that bad. take the plug out stand the saw on its end with the plug hole turned down , let it set this way for a while. the gas should drain out. IF this dont help You have a problem with the needle and seat in the carburetor. They are either bad , dirty or out of adjustment and this is letting gas run streight through the carb. until it runs out the exhaust. you will need to clean and possibly rebuild the carb.The tricky part is adjusting the tiny lever that hooks to the needle valve its usually set with a guage. One other possibility is the gas tank not being vented , maby a bad gas cap or tank vent causing pressure to build in the tank.

Old 12-19-02, 02:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree

Old 12-20-02, 07:32 AM
What about the gas lid/pressure? When I open the cap, I can hear some pressure being relieved. Like you hear on an automobile gas cap. Isn't this expected?

Old 12-21-02, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually chainsaws are designed to slightly pressurize the fuel tank to feed the carb with fuel. I wouldn't worry about that. I think you'll find out that your problem is in the carb. (needle valve and/or diaphragm).