Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Performance

Visiting Guest

12-20-02, 08:23 PM   #1  
dave39
5 hp ohv engine carb problemb

hi i have a command 5 hp engine on my minibike. it will only idel for a couple of secs then it will die out. but it will stay running if you rev it up but as soon as it gose back to idle it stalls.
It is a over head valve engine. i dont know if its the carb or the rocker arms might be loose because it dose make a lot of tiking noises when its running. any suggestions on how to fix it?
i

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-21-02, 12:08 AM   #2  
Hello dave!

I think that the problem will most likely be in the carburetor or its' adjustments. Try cleaning it out, and if necessary, idle it up a bit. Kohler engines don't usually need valve adjustments.

Let us know how it goes!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 11:59 AM   #3  
dave39
i did the carb work and now it works great.
now is ther any way to soup up the engine?
thanks

Visiting Guest

12-21-02, 03:23 PM   #4  
dave39
how can i soup up my Kohler command 5

Hi
im just wandering how i can soup up my Kohler command 5 ohv engine? its on a minibike i am restoring.

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

12-21-02, 08:57 PM   #5  
Hello: dave39

This subject on improving the engines preformance has been merged together with the original question about the carb. problem.

Please use the REPLY button for all questions on this subject of your mini-bike and it's engine. Doing so allows the subject, all the questions and replies to remain together for easy reading and posting of replies.

Your co-operation in this matter would be much appreciated.

Regards, Good Luck & Safe Riding.
Forum host & topic moderator,
Tom_B.

Visiting Guest

12-22-02, 12:02 AM   #6  
Tcumcman
Kohler on a Mini-Bike??

Dave39,

Did you INSTALL the Command engine on your mini-bike?
I've never seen one with a Command before, and the
shape and design of the Command OHV engine would be
kinda tough to mount under there....Sure it's not a
Tecumseh OHV instead ?? Just wondering....??

Tcumcman

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-22-02, 12:12 AM   #7  
Hopping up a Kohler is something I know little about, but it can be done. There are high performance parts available for many engines...you can often get them cheap on Ebay. One thing that would increase power a good bit would be to install a low restriction-type exhaust...either a header or straight pipe. If you install a straight pipe, make sure it is at least 12 inches long, and braced so that it doesn't break the engine from vibration. Carb work can be done, compression can be increased, valve size can be increased, engine bore can be increased...but generally doesn't really change anything. High performace camshaft can be installed, timing can be altered, etc...

Now if it were a 5hp Briggs, I could tell you exactly what to do and where, but I've never done a kohler. Anyone else ever done this?

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-22-02, 04:47 AM   #8  
Tcumcman
Kohler Racing

Thanks Cheese for your reply....I've seen the Kohler go-kart
engine. It's SLICK!! A good friend and Dealer of mine bought
one when they first introduced it a few years ago. Right out
of the box it'll turn 7000 RPM's, and though it sure looks
"funny" without a fuel tank, and that "odd" Command
design to start with, I KNOW it would be a good one. The
post I replied to, I just didn't know if he had "ADDED" the
engine or not. Guess he did, huh ??

Merry Christmas, Cheese, to you and yours from SC !!

Tcumcman

Visiting Guest

12-22-02, 05:56 AM   #9  
dave39
hi
how would i advance the timming and set the carb up?
thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-24-02, 02:29 AM   #10  
I wish I could tell you for sure dave, but I haven't done this on your engine before. I'll see if Mike...(one of the other moderators in this forum), can help you with this. I know he can do a lot to a briggs, and maybe he can tell you what to do with a kohler. I'll send him a message to look at your post.

Tcumcman...I haven't seen the gokart engine yet. Most of the karts around here are walmart specials, so kohler is never seen on one, lol. I've seen them in catalogs and such, and you're right...they do look funny. Just not what we're used to seeing I guess.

You have a blessed and merry Christmas as well!

God bless!

Visiting Guest

12-25-02, 07:47 PM   #11  
dave39
Hi to advance the timeing would be the same on all engines wouldent it?
Also it backfires a lot when it is slowing down would that be bad timeing (it backfires loud)

Visiting Guest

12-26-02, 09:30 PM   #12  
dave39
Hi Do they make blowers for small engines?
also is there any way to make it idel like a hot rod?
Thanks

Visiting Guest

12-31-02, 07:28 AM   #13  
mikejmerritt
Hello dave39, Kohler leaves us little room for DIY modifications like B&S and Tecumseh. Removing the easy start compression release isn't needed because Kohler uses a system that does that after the engine hits a time or two. Advancing the timing can be done by simply removing the flywheel key and rotating the flywheel clockwise about half the width of the keyway and torque down. This will give you about 3-5 degrees of advance. This mod alone isn't so much about HP but low end acceleration. It should also cause a bit of loping...:-). Do be advised that timing advance is hard on the engine but any mod that produces results will be also. As we say "It'll RUN while its running". What about the governor? Is it in place? These engines will easily turn 5500 RPM's for short periods. Do you have the kart engine mentioned elsewhere in the thread? I only find it available in a 6HP. Here are a couple of links that may help...

http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/tjperf.htm

http://members.aol.com/pullingtractor/carbfuel.htm

Mike

Search this Thread