Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

12-23-02, 07:17 AM   #1  
Mike_Def
Lawn Mower problem

My lawn mower will not stay started, initially. It is supposed to be primed 3 times, then I should be able to pull the cord and it will start immediately. However, this isn't the case. I need to prime it 9 times. Then when I pull the cord it will fire up then kill, unless I continue to push the primer ball. If I continue to push it, it will stay running after about 20 seconds. If I kill the enigne after 5 minutes, it will start fine afterwards.

What is the problem? Do I have some buildup in the fuel line or something? Is there an easy way to fix this? I have a 6.5 HP craftsman, self-propelled, mower. Thanks.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-24-02, 01:54 AM   #2  
Hello Mike!

This is a tecumseh engine, correct? Possibly a Tecumseh marked as an Eager-1. If so... This is what you'll need to do: Remove the screw that holds the bowl onto the carburetor. In the sides of that screw, and down in the center, are tiny holes. Clean them out...use a piece of wire if you need to. Clean any debris or gum out of the bowl itself also. Then reassemble and go! This should do it...if not, let us know!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 12-24-02 at 07:56 PM.

Search this Thread