Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Selection

Visiting Guest

12-23-02, 12:40 PM   #1  
cobra
Onan or Kohler?

I am ready to buy a miller welder with either a 20HP OHV Kohler, or a 20.5 HP OHV onan. I would appreciate any facts, thoughts or opinions as to which is the better way to go. The Kohler has a 24 month warranty, the Onan has 36 months. Should one offer better service, serviceability, or longevity?
Thanks for your comments.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-23-02, 01:59 PM   #2  
fordman30
welder

IVE NEVER HEARD OF ONAN ,,AS FAR AS I KNOW KOHLER IS A PRETTY GOOD ENGINE.....THERES MY 2 CENTS WORTH

Visiting Guest

12-23-02, 08:20 PM   #3  
J A Boggan
You need to go over to http://bbs.cartserver.com/bbs/a/5624/index.cgi . There are a couple of Onan experts there. I'm sure they could answer your question.

Visiting Guest

12-23-02, 09:03 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Fordman:

Onan to my knowledge is a pretty well-known maker of boat outboard engines.

They have been around for sometime. I believe it was D.W. Onan.

Visiting Guest

12-23-02, 11:19 PM   #5  
mikejmerritt
Hello cobra, Kohler and Onan are both very fine engines. If the Onan wasn't to much more than the Kohler I would go with the Onan. Onan is one of the quietest engines around. They are used a lot for RV generators......Mike

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

12-24-02, 01:40 AM   #6  
Hello cobra!

Onan is one good engine. Kohler is too. I think Onan may be a notch higher though...I've never seen one give poor service. You won't go wrong with either though.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

12-24-02, 05:20 AM   #7  
My Two Cents Worth

Hello and Welcome cobra to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

In my opinion, there really isn't much, if any, difference between the two engine choices. Both can and will preform equally as well. Each member and moderator have presented you with good information in which to compare the two engine choices.

A possible determining factor may be from whom the purchase is made. If you make the purchase from a large chain retail dealer, be sure there are service dealers in your area.

Large generic hardware chain stores and other such retailers often sell any brand their wholesale buyers can obtain cheaply, simply to make profits & help manufacturers clear old inventories.

Obtaining service repairs or parts may present a minor problem. Buying machinery of this type from a dealer is often the best choice, based on potential future needs.

And there you have it..."My Two Cents"...

Happy Holidays.
Regards & Good Luck. Tom_B.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Search this Thread