Rear Engine Rider

Old 12-25-02, 09:53 PM
eager mike
Visiting Guest
Rear Engine Rider

I have a small (old) International Harvestor Cadet rear engine rider. The engine (10hp) was junk, so I put a 5.5 horse engine from a push mower on it (the bottom of the motor was nice and flat...I thought I hit the jackpot). It started right up, pulled the rider around, and turned the blades. The problem is that it kicks back hard when I pull on the rope start. It also doesn't run smooth (it's up and down) when the rider's moving. It's almost like it needs a heavier pulley assembly to act as a counter balance. Now that I've rambled on, any thoughts on what's wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-02, 10:36 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello eager mike, the engine from the push mower has an aluminum flywheel and needs the weight of the blade to run properly. You will have to put an iron flywheel on the 5.5 to smooth it out but I doubt you will have enough horse power to cut grass......Mike

Old 12-26-02, 10:11 AM
eager mike
Visiting Guest
Thanks! I'll work on that as soon as it's warm enough to stick my nose outside.

Old 12-26-02, 10:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with Mike....it needs the weight of an iron flywheel if it is running without a blade. If it has kicked back pretty hard, there is a possibility that you have partially sheared the flywheel key too. I also doubt very much that you will have enough power to operate the machine well, especially if it was designed for use with a 10hp.