Engine Idle Adjustment

Old 12-26-02, 02:43 PM
racer
Visiting Guest
can't adjust idle

I have a 5hp brggs & stratton engine on a little snow machine for the kids. I am having problems getting it to idle it has a jet screw on the bottom of the bowl and a screw for adjustments on the side.When you try to adjust the srew on the side it revs up really high.The only way it will idle is with that screw turned in tight.I clean the carb and inspected everything and it seems ok.This carb has a choke on it would I be able to put a carb from a techumseh engine with a primer on it?Or how do you adjust the carb that is on it now?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-02, 04:24 PM
mastertekTN
Visiting Guest
run the engine at full throttl adjust the bottom screw til it runs smooth, then at idle adjust the screw on the side til you have it idling as fast as it will idle, you will have to turn screw in and out, now you may have to adjust the idle screw. you should have a total of three screws to adjust

Old 12-26-02, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the carb is completely clean, including all passages, then turn the screw on the side clockwise until it lightly bottoms out, then back it out 1 1/2 to 2 turns. Then, when running engine at full speed, screw the screw on the bottom of the bowl in until the engine begins to die, then screw it back out 1/2 turn. from this point, you should be able to set the throttle to idle and adjust the idle screw until the desired idle RPM is reached.

It sounds like there may still be a problem, like float level adjustment, bad or stuck float, choke sticking, etc... if it is still running with the air/fuel mixture screw tightened all the way.

Old 12-27-02, 06:47 AM
racer
Visiting Guest
I put a new float in it since the old one had a hole in it.The float is sitting level when I had it apart and upside down.The choke isn't sticking because I can see it when the engine is running.I will try to adjust it like you guys explained and I will let you know how it goes.Would I be able to change the carb to one off of the Techumseh engine?

Old 12-27-02, 06:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No, they won't interchange.

Old 01-03-03, 07:03 AM
racer
Visiting Guest
Thanks alot guys I got it running like a top.

Old 01-03-03, 09:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job! What did you find to be the problem?

Old 01-03-03, 01:37 PM
racer
Visiting Guest
I had to adjust the screw on the bottom of the bowl and then set the idling.